News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Advice for a 1951

Started by BillM, March 13, 2013, 10:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillM

I am in the process of purchasing a 1951 series 62 4 door caddy. It will not be a restoration car but a daily driver for me, I like the cool factor.

I have been over the car several times and these are my observations:

It is about 100 percent rust free. I have been everywhere and do not see any. All of the trim pieces are there, every single one. The chrome looks great no rust spots. The body is very straight minor dings etc but no body work needed. The interior is there but very sun damaged. Sitting on the seat tears the fabric. It looks like it has a new carpet kit in it. The paint is old and faded but has nice patina. I actually like the look I will probably keep it the way it is. The left rear glass is broken. It seems to run very well, it starts and stops fine. I am not sure on the brakes. The tires need to be replaced.

I am in negotiations but am thinking I can get it for 5500 to 6000. My question is, Does this seem to be a fair amount of money to pay. I do not want to overpay. I have no idea of the value of these old cars. I actually kind of fell in love with the car. i want to make sure I am not emotionally attached and spending to much money. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dave Shepherd

The price is fair if the trans is ok, no major leaks, it does not burn excessive oil, has no engine knocks/good oil pressure, the rear end is not noisey, charging system is good..   Better drive it, doing any major repairs on these cars unless you can do it yourself is expensive, assuming you can get a local garage to even take it on.  Where I am in upstate NY, no one will touch these cars these cars without begging, then there is the isssue of lack of experience.

Richardonly

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1951/Cadillac

Continue on and you shall have NADA's value.

Best of luck, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Caddy Wizard

I think the price is about right.  If you want a better value, but at a higher price, I sold a 50 sedan to a guy in upstate NY this past fall and he is going to sell it because of a family tragedy.  The car can be purchased for about $18k.  Perfect body, excellent chrome, very nice paint, wonderful interior, rebuilt transmission (we did this just before I sold the car) that shifts perfectly, engine sealed to eliminate all leaks and runs perfectly (I worked my magic on this car), engine compartment restored, brakes redone with stainless lines, new  hoses, new shoes, new cylinders, dual circuit master, etc.  6v alternator and Optima battery hidden under a Delco box.  EXTREMELY reliable and attractive car.  If you buy the bargain car for 5 or 6 (a fair price to be sure) and end up fixing it up, you will spend far more than the 18K to get that car to the level of this car.  This was one of the best Cadillac's I have ever had (and I have had PLENTY).

Anyway, if you love to tinker and want to keep the initial investment low, your deal is a good one.  If you will be tempted to fix it up, you are better off buying my former car.  By the way, I have no financial interest in this -- it is not my car any longer and I would not earn a commission from helping the guy sell it.  Here is a picture...

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under cosmetic resto)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1949 S6107 Fastback Coupe -- soon to be back home with me...

Chris Conklin

If you want a daily driver that can really be driven comfortably and safely beginning from the day you buy it, take Mr. Gardner's advice.
Chris Conklin

Jay Friedman

I third the motion.  I'm a friend of Mr. Gardner, helped him with some of the work on his ex-50 and know it to an extent.  I can confirm that its Hydramatic was perfectly re-built by one of the few remaining masters of that art, which I emphasize since it's not only difficult to find anyone who work on an early Hydramatic much less someone who knows them well.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."