News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

51 Series 62 Speedo cable lube

Started by wrench, April 13, 2013, 12:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrench

1951 series 62. Can the speedo cable be removed and reinstalled for lube from the transmission end?

There is a noise from the speedo/cable area when the car first starts out after not being driven. The noise goes away after a minute or two of driving.

Seems like a lube may work.

I checked the manual and the forum but did not see this question addressed.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jim,

Sorry, but the inner cable has to be removed from the speedo end.

You can simply disconnect the speedo cable from the speedo, pull it down and then, with the help of a friend, pull out the inner cable, making sure that it clears any parts that you want to stay clean.

Inspect the inner for possible damage, as in a kink, or broken wire after cleaning.

When greasing it, wipe the cable with a greasy rag, and carefully insert it all the way, twisting it as it goes the last inch, so it slips into the driven gear in the transmission.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wrench

Bruce;

Thanks for the prompt reply. At least now I can start from the right end...

Jim
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

gary griffin

I am not sure it would work but most motorcycle shops sell a cable lubricator.

Gary Griffin
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bob Schuman

Jim,

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I found it impossible to access the back of the speedometer on my 51 to service the cable. It was necessary to remove the instrument cluster from the front, after removing the cowling on the upper part of the steering column and the bezel around the odometers, then disconnecting the speedo cable at the transmission so it can be pulled up to give enough slack to pull the speedometer out with the cable attached. BE SURE to tag all of the light socket wires to save a lot of trouble getting them back in the right holes later. After pulling the speedo out a few inches you can get your hand behind it to disconnect the cable. From that point just follow Bruce's instructions.

If you happen to have a car without the defroster unit on the upper left side of the firewall, you may be lucky enough to be able to reach the cable attachment to the speedo head from under the dash, and not have to do all I have described above.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

wrench

Gary;

Thanks for the input. I actually used to have one of those motorcycle cable lubricators and am familiar with its operation, thanks for the memories! The issue then becomes, I still have to get access to one end of the cable or the other in order to clamp it to the drive cable.

Bob;
Thanks for the embellishment on the subject. I guess I will have to troubleshoot the parking 'BRAKE' light to see if it is the bulb or the switch, then I will have two reasons to go after the cluster...well three actually, as the TEMP guage is inop (someone put a Stewart Warner replacement on the column, must have been a long time ago).

I think I have the defroster. There is a blower on a heater box on the driver's side firewall. The car has the rear defroster and the heater under the seat. All in various stages of operation. The heat and fan seems to work but I have not confirmed the rear defroster or the under seat system yet.

Hmmm.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX