News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

radiator cap

Started by Cooke, October 24, 2013, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I can only find 7lb. radiator caps at local stores, will this be OK to use on a 38, 60S? It has 4lb now but needs a new one. Thanks, Martin

joeceretti

I had a 7lb and my rad guy said, "that's what has caused that pinhole." He had a 4lb in his stock and he charged me $10. If you have a dedicated radiator repair shop around. Head there.

Bill Ingler #7799

The A/C cap was the correct cap used on the Cadillac. The correct cap number for the 38 Cadillac is RC-4 which is a 4 lb cap. Regardless of what brand name cap you use, it is very important that the cap length fits the neck length of the radiator or you defeat the purpose of the pressure cap.  Bill

Richardonly

Bill is correct.  If the seal isn't formed by having a long enough cap, air gets in, boiling and evaporation lets the coolant out.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

joeceretti

When I had a 7lb cap on mine (It was there when I got the car) I was losing coolant constantly. I installed a coolant reservoir inside the fender with a rubber hose so I could reuse the coolant and not pollute the environment with my hard earned dollars. Since putting the 4lb on the reservoir never has any coolant in it at all.