News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1977 Eldorado Convertible conversion

Started by rsuddeth, November 04, 2013, 10:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsuddeth

I just purchased a 1977 Eldorado hardtop as a parts car for my 1976 Eldorado convertible project.  The '77 has a bad engine, but is otherwise in such good shape, that I am looking into putting the convertible top from the '76 on it and swapping the engines.  the engine part should be easy (i think), but the convertible conversion appears to be a big job.  I know a few shops did this, but they don't want to tell me how.  Has seen the process?  It looks like the biggest hurdle will be the mounting points for the side gearboxes of the top.  Also, it looks like there may be some fabrication for the rear windows.  Any help?

jagbuxx #12944

Why don't you just take the good '77 parts and put them onto the '76?
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

rsuddeth

Jag,  that was the original plan, but it seems that I will be transferring most of the car.  floor pans front and rear, trunk pan, rear deck lid, fenders, entire interior, etc , etc.  It may be less work to make the '77 a convertible.  And I thought it would just be cool/fun to do it. 

JoeKarasinski

Cars like the 79 Eldorado convertibles started out as hardtops. 76 and older Eldorado convertibles started out as convertibles.
So there's a lot more to it than just the top. It's everything from above the belt line and everything from behind the doors is specific to the convertible so you are talking about the windshield frame, a bunch of structural stuff and the tops of the quarter panels.

To me it would be easier to swap the floors and even the bottom of the quarter panels where your work is much easier to hide. Also in transferring the top and all parts if you make even a small mistake your top may never fit properly or door windows may never fit the a-pillar right.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't forget that the Chassis is Convertible-specific, as are the sills.

There is a lot more strength required to stop the body from flexing, and twisting, once the roof is removed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Barry

There are so many 76 convertibles in every price range, do yourself a favor and just get what you like in a 76-get the best you can afford and enjoy it !
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

rsuddeth

The fun for me is inthe challenge and the build. It may be a great project for me and my boys. Or, it could be a lesson in humility.

Barry

Guess i'm fresh out of the challenge phase ! That's why I am selling the Talisman and love the 22K mile-turn the key and go Bicentennial Convertible ! Never a glitch !! Sounds like an overwhelming project to me, but have fun and hope all turns out well !!
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

76eldo

Fixing the 76 is a far easier task.  Not going to be very easy to make a 77 into a convertible.

Like the others have said, why not buy a decent 76 convert to enjoy?

Sell off both cars to get some cash to get going on a 76 convert.  A chopped up 77 will never be worth anything.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rsuddeth

Again, I am not building this to be worth anything.  I just building it as a project for me and my boys.  If it gets to a point that  i see it will not work, I will simply use the parts from the 77 to fix up the 76.  I know this conversion was done a fair number of times in the 70's and I was interested to see if anyone here has seen one of these done.  Of course it would be easier to go out and buy a convertible in good shape and i would do that if my goal was to simply have the car, but that is not my goal.  i want a challenging, fun, informative project for my boys and I to bond over.  Does anyone have any information on the actual conversions that were done to these cars?

JoeKarasinski

I've never seen a 77 or 78 Convertible in person but from searching around the internet here I read that a few 77 and 78s were built by custom coach in Ohio. They look exactly like 76's so it would be my best guess that they did it with parts supplied by Cadillac.
There were a couple of companies that made convertibles out of hardtops. I worked for ASC/McLaren back in the 80's and we'd start with hatchback Mercury Capris. I know that there were 77-79 Thunderbirds and 79 and newer Eldo's, and stuff built too but none of these cars are going to be nearly as complex of a conversion as you are undertaking (given that you have both a convertible and hardtop)

What you want to do is not impossible but it sure seems the longer road to the same destination.

76eldo

Do you have the space to cut off the entire rear clip of the convertible?

They are body on frame construction.  Get a plasma cutter or cutting wheel and just cut the clip off of the back of the car at the middle of the door opening.

You will also have to deal with the windshield frame so that the top will have something to latch to.

A project car is a great way to bond with your kids, but you could also teach them auto skills by fixing the 76 with parts from the 77.

The entire back of the car is different so it's a very advanced project even for a seasoned body man. 

Only you know what your skills are, but i have heard that with enough time and beer anything can be accomplished.

good luck!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Barry

I have owned several 76 Eldorado convertibles over the years. Possibly a better project would be to resurrect the 76 into the most beautiful shape you can get it into! These are not cars to be tinkered with. It's giving me anxiety attacks and it's not even my car or my business ! LOL ! Best of luck with what ever you decide !!
Barry
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

Glen

Quote from: rsuddeth on November 07, 2013, 06:04:39 PM
Again, I am not building this to be worth anything.  I just building it as a project for me and my boys. 

Bravo!  Cars are not tools to get money, money is a tool to buy and fix cars and have fun.  To me it is more fun to work on cars than it is to drive them.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

rsuddeth

Thanks for the remarks.  It looks like mounting the top would be the easiest part.  I am concerned with the windshield frame (A Pillar?) and the rear windows.  More the windshield than anything.  the two look very different.  the convertible windshield frame looks more like a roll bar.  I was hoping that that part could be adapted to work as is.

The Tassie Devil(le)

You will have to take the top of the windshield from the convertible, after measuring it that is, and weld it together half way down the sided.   You will need to cut the outer skin away to give you access to weld the internal parts for greater strength.

Then you can simply screw the stainless trim back on to complete the task.

Here is one I saw in Canada (BC or AB) in 2002.   I inquired as to the vehicle and that Cadillac didn't make one for that year, to which he replied, "It wasn't a Convertible till this morning.   The Sawzall made short work of that."

It was surprising what a bit of contact cement and felt will cover up.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

rsuddeth

Bruce,  That is hilarious.  From a distance it is hard to tell.  "not a convertible till this morning".. that is great.  I am trying to see if there is any difference other than the top of the windhsiled frame.  I will remove door and a front fender to get a better look.  If it is just the top portion, then I am not too discouraged.  Then it is on to figuring out the rear window.

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the actual windscreen glass is the same, as in interchangeable, then it shouldn't be too difficult to swap over the top half of the frame.   Just welding it up to retain the strength of the convertible to stop the roof trying to pull it rearwards at speed with the top up is the hard part.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

JoeKarasinski

No, the glass is different. Convertible windshield measures 30 x 70 inches and the Coupe glass is 32 x 72.

You'll need to swap out the full windshield frame.

J. Skelly

I've got a '77 with the Astroroof.  It has most of the open air feeling of a convertible, without the structural modifications you're talking about.  It sounds like a challenging home project.  You may want to consider installing the T-tops that were occasionally seen on these in the late 70s if a convertible conversion proves to be too much of a task.  Another consideration is a pickup with a removable rear window!  Good luck with whatever you end up doing.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)