News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

New Project - 1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Resurrection

Started by TrevorK, September 10, 2015, 04:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevorK

Hi all,

I really enjoy the restoration threads on the forum so thought I'd take a shot at creating one for my next project.  The car is a 1960 Coupe DeVille in original Persian Sand.  I love the colours and think she will be beautiful when completed.  As you can see from photos, she's pretty much complete but appears to need everything (hence the "resurrection").  I purchased the car in the Fall of 2011 - hard to believe that I'm just going to get started on it now, but it seems like too many other projects and commitments always get in the way.  My last couple of project cars have also taken too long to complete, so I'm hoping to move this one forward a steadier and quicker pace. 

I'll be moving the car to my shop in the next couple of weeks to begin the disassembly and will try to post periodic updates on this thread.  I'm sure there will be many questions along the way, but it's all part of the fun.  I love the restoration process as much as driving them when done and am really looking forward to getting started and returning this gem to her former glory.  There is a sticker in the window with a New York registration from 1972 - I would not be at all surprised if that was the last time this girl was on the road!

Trevor Korsrud

1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1963 Cadillac Convertible

59-in-pieces

Trevor,
Yes, a little dirt and grime, but the bones are there.
This is the way I like to start my projects too.
Although, my experience is with the 59's, they are almost the same car, 60's are the little fin brothers.
Please post pics - we all love them.
If I can be of any help, just let me know - or post your questions.
Have fun,
Steve Butcher
slynnbutch@sbcglobal.net
S. Butcher

TrevorK

Well, I had every intention of updating this thread with the progress of my restoration of my 1960 CDV.  It's been awhile and I've made some decent progress.  The car was totally disassembled and media blasted.  It had more rust than I expected and required quite a bit of metal work.  The body was taken off the frame, the frame was also blasted and coated with Eastwood's frame paint.  The underside of the car was painted with Raptor bed liner, which is a good product.  The motor has been rebuilt. I ordered original materials for the interior from SMS and the front seat has been redone.  Brakes, starter, generator and carb all rebuilt.  Car is currently at the body shop and the guy is about as slow as they come.  Anyways, that is the short update.  I will look for some photos and upload them so you can all see the progress.

Trevor
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

A few pics of this wreck, before really digging in.
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Pulling the motor and transmission:
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Disassembly:
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Engine back from the machine shop (painted Ford blue, ugh):
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Rusty firewall around the heater core that needed a patch panel:
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Trunk lip was rusted right off, so needed to get a patch from another car and weld it on:
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Taking the body off of the frame.  Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Oh crap, this turned out to be a lot rustier than I was expecting:
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Good thing I had a solid parts car.  Both left and right sides of the front rocker and floors had to be sectioned in (I had to call in the pros for this job, as I was afraid of getting everything out of alignment. 
Trevor Korsrud

35-709

Very nice work, big project.  Since you are restoring the car so thoroughly it would be seem an important thing to get the details right and at least paint the engine the correct Cadillac Blue.  Cadillac Blue is available from Bill Hirsch or at a minimum you can come real close mixing your own with Rustoleum Royal Blue and Black using an enigne part with original paint to help match --- if you have such a thing lying around.

http://www.hirschauto.com/AEROSOL-ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EEA-SPRAY/CAD%20DK%20BLU/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TrevorK

Quote from: 35-709 on October 07, 2018, 10:57:05 AM
Very nice work, big project.  Since you are restoring the car so thoroughly it would be seem an important thing to get the details right and at least paint the engine the correct Cadillac Blue.  Cadillac Blue is available from Bill Hirsch or at a minimum you can come real close mixing your own with Rustoleum Royal Blue and Black using an enigne part with original paint to help match --- if you have such a thing lying around.

http://www.hirschauto.com/AEROSOL-ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EEA-SPRAY/CAD%20DK%20BLU/

Yes, the engine has since been painted the correct Cadillac blue (just way behind on my photos). Agree the Bill Hirsch paints are good (and what I used).  :)
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Fitting in the section on the passenger side:
Trevor Korsrud

59-in-pieces

Trevor,
Gr8 pics.
Glad you are going the extra mile to make the repairs few would see and others most often shine on.

35-709 is right that if you are going so far as you have, and with period correct fabric from SMS, you should get the Hirsch paint - spray cans (the way to go) or a can to mix and spray yourself.
A little advice - buy, don't mix (pain in the as...) - and if ever you photo the completed engine bay, it will show as the proper color - pics don't lie.

More pics.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

TrevorK

Fitting the driver side section and the rusted sections that were cut out:
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Getting ready to media blast the body and frame (Grouchy neighbour didn't like this and called the City on us to complain):
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Media blasting:
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Down to the bare metal.  No more rust!
Trevor Korsrud