News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Buttercup's frame-off restoration is complete!

Started by jyinger, October 29, 2015, 01:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jyinger

I drove her yesterday for the first time.  What a dream!!

All new (or rebuilt) everything.  I have a few photos....  Also photos of the engine compartment, drive train, etc. if anyone is interested.

Jon Yinger  CLC#226643
49 Fleetwood (2)
49 Coupe DeVille (2)
49 Convertible
52 Fleetwood
58 Eldorado Brougham
Jon Yinger

Dan LeBlanc

Looks fantastic Jon.  I'd love to see how you mounted the a/c compressor as I'm contemplating a trunk mounted unit as you did in the 49 in my 53.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Jon,

As usual, a beautiful restoration. The '49 CDV doesn't get the respect it deserves considering it created the hottest body style throughout the 50's, 60's and into the 70's.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Blade

Beautiful restoration! The color change was a personal preference?

Cheers!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

2manycars

Beautiful work on an outstanding car. It can take one back, just looking at it.  It just looks so comfortable. I'll bet it rides like a dream.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

62 driver

Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

NORTHPORTGUY

just stumbled on this post and want to compliment you ion a terrific job of work. Buttercup is beautiful.    How long did it take?

Ken Wiebke

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

jyinger

It's been about a year and a half since we started work on it.

I must say, though, that I was a little premature in declaring it to be completely finished, and home.  After a few days of test drives, she developed a rough idle and an annoying miss that got steadily worse.  We tried everything--rebuilt the carburetor (again), tried a different (rebuilt) distributor, checked the compression.  Checked the spark to each cylinder.  No clue.

Until we (that is, Danny, the mechanic) took the heads off and found some problems with a couple of valves.  One was badly scorched--and this is with only about 100 miles on the newly rebuilt engine.  So Monday it goes back to L & R Engine to make those heads right.

I'll keep you posted when we get it back.

Jon
Jon Yinger

savemy67

Hello Jon,

Buttercup looks great!  Many people prefer the '49 Sedanette, but I think the coupe looks great too.  Oddly, of the photos you posted, I like the first photo best - the "before" picture.  I think it appeals to me because it represents the idea of overcoming the odds.  And for the most part, Buttercap represents a happy ending.

Sorry to hear about the engine trouble.  You would expect to have confidence in parts that you paid to have rebuilt. but it seems, more so today than ever, that time is money.  Many shops will only spend a finite amount of time on any given project, and they may overlook some crucial step in the process.  This may be due in part to the loss of skills over time - there just aren't enough old Cadillacs around to expect that there are a lot of people with the know-how to repair them.  This may also be due in part to the temperament of people.  You must have the patience of Job to work on these cars, and sometimes this patience is incompatible with running a business.

I have more time than money, so I tackle just about every repair on my car (I may re-evaluate that statement when I reach age 75).  And I do have the patience of Job.  This allows me to evaluate whether I want to use a worn part or try to find a piece of unobtanium.  If I use a worn part, at least I am aware of its limitations.  When someone else does the work for you, you entrust them with your project and compensate them accordingly, but you may never know the limitations of a part because you have never seen it.  Hopefully, the scorched valves are due to an honest mistake, and your engine builder will rectify the problem with no excuses, thereby keeping your trust.  Hope all goes well, and that Buttercup is soon cruising the by-ways as she should.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop