News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1916 Cadillac to be featured on "Wheeler Dealers"

Started by chrisntam, December 27, 2016, 12:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Looking at the guide, says a 1916 Cadillac is to be featured on Wheeler Dealers on Wednesday, 12/28 on Velocity Channel, 8 pm Central.

It's one of the automotive related shows on my list to watch.  I've dropped Graveyard Cars, too much filler and not enough cars....

Enjoy watching others get dirty!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Agreed on dropping car shows. Too much screaming and scheming for my taste. Wheeler dealers is the best car show at the moment.

TJ Hopland

Interesting.   I have seen a lot of that show and never seen them get anywhere near that old.   Seems like even the 50's isn't common for them.   I will have to try and watch that one.

I do like that show.   Earlier seasons Edd got deeper and more detailed in the repairs which I thought was cool.  There were some seasons where it was just like most of the other shows with no detail but their ratings must have suffered because they seemed to get back to their original formula more recently.    I really like the ones where they get into cars we never heard of here.   Lots of pretty cool cars and concepts that never made it here.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

So thoughts?    I don't know much about cars that early so it was interesting to see.    What year and model was the second car?

That rear suspension was really interesting with the 3 leaf springs and that forward control arm thing.   I can't imagine most cars had more than the 2 leaf springs in that era. 

That engine design was common in that era?   The block was just a frame?  Then the cylinder then the head?   I wonder why the flat crank?   You would think with the V they would have wanted a split design from the start.  Too hard to manufacture? 

76eldo

Between my brother in law and a friend they have Packards from 1903 to 1958 with the emphasis on teens, 20's and 30's.

Everything was new back then.  The Cadillac crankcase was just that.  The cylinders and heads were one piece on the '16 and then by '18 two pieces according to the show last night.  They put the '16 on the road with the '18 engine which fit and is largely the same except it had detachable heads.

I have seen Packards up close from the '03 on up and used to own a 36, 48, and 51.

In these early days like 1916 the differences in the engineering between brands was staggering and the difference between a Ford T and a Pierce Arrow was ten fold in price and no comparison at all in terms of construction, performance, and comfort.

Cars today are much closely similar in engineering and price.  A Toyota Tercel and a Lexus or Infiniti are much more similar than the huge differences in cars 100 years ago.

These guys on Wheeler Dealers have the best show of it's type.  From where they started, buying cars for 300 "Quid" and "selling them on" for 700 "Quid" has been great to watch over the years.

I love how they glossed over their failure to get the car ready for the Peking to Paris run in the last few seconds of the show...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Carl Fielding

Good questions, TJ. The semi-elliptic to quarter-elliptic ( a semi-elliptic captured in the middle in this case ) , system is called "platform springing" and is a "throwback" to the horse drawn carriage era. Cadillac continued it through the 1925 model year. As you may know , Cadillac developed the world's first inherently balanced V8 which began service late 1923 for the new model "V63" (1924-1925 ). Of course other cars had used V8s , and V8s also were used as aero engines. All single plane , similar to a 4 cyl crankshaft. In the case of aero engines , the limited low rpm operating range will be out of the harmonic period which must be considered in automotive applications. Cadillac introduced the first successful mass produced V8 engine in 1914 for the 1915 model year. 30 years ago while looking to purchase an early V8 Cad , I drove a '17 and '18 , both open cars. The vibration coincides exactly with the peak torque band , 1800-2200 rpm. While not overwhelmingly objectionable , I describe it as a "buzz" , evidently this buzz is amplified in closed cars which were becoming far more prevalent as the '20s advanced. Also , in the case of the three main bearing Cadillac V8 , the harmonic vibration imposes greater load on the center main. The heavily counterweighted 2 plane crankshaft solution required extensive engineering , mathematics , and test facilities. It has to be done just right , and resulted in the proud ancestor to all of our V8 Cads.

I enjoyed reading this , and of the adventurous and demanding service 1924 Cadillacs were put to across the Middle East in what I call "The Bible". Maurice Hendry's definitive work : "Cadillac - The Complete 70 Year History". ( This book is a MUST HAVE , and these days can be had used for the price of lunch. Go hungry one day soon ! Treat yourselves instead to this book if you have not yet done so.) Hendry's info re: the balanced V8 and 4 wheel brakes of the wonderful rugged V63 Cads , encouraged me to purchase my 1924 7 passenger touring back in '89. Never a nanosecond of buyer's remorse. Impressed me so much that I bought the '27 sedan. Some of you guys have driven these cars , you know what I mean. HAPPY CADILLACIN' NEW YEAR !  CC

P.S. : the "Torque Arm" : you need some means to prevent rear axle windup against the power being transmitted through the axles and wheels. This is a simple , primitive means to do so. I am sorry I missed this program. Maybe my son can figure a way for me to see it sometime.

Bobby B

I saw the show last night and enjoyed it. The car looked like a real amateur restoration if you ask me. I doubt the frame came that pitted from the factory. When they showed close-ups of the fender/ body paint, the peel and imperfections were quite obvious. Appeared to be kind of slapped together. Was it supposed to be a Restoration? I have watched other shows that do restorations like The "Guild". They actually do pretty nice work and they show the time frame, which usually winds up being over a year or two. Also "Bitchin' Rides" does super nice work if you like modified Vehicles. Edd and Mike are entertaining though........
                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Steve Passmore

I am quite bemused that you guys like these two English idiots. Amongst the circle of classic car people in this country I know of no one who has any time for them.  One that looks like he should be a hairdresser and the other a shady car salesman who makes a big deal of of gaining a few £s for what must be months of work for the other and then boasting about it!!  Its all such an unbelievable stage show.  You don't see the huge crew in the background that really do the work, and for what?  In your 'Pickers' show they at least see a profit.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Scot Minesinger

Steve,

Agree there is no way that this activity can be justified economically, as in consideration of the labor, every episode is huge loss.  It is nonetheless entertaining.  I certainly have saved a few cars from the crusher that really should be and at a loss.  Some of their ideas are good, some bad.  I like watching the show.  Example, the early 1960's Lincoln, liked what they did except the wheels and tires.  No way they made money. 

Just this summer bought a 1998 Explorer for $1,000 put $1,500 into it (tires were $700) and sold it to my 19 year old son's serious girl friend for $1,360 (financing the $360 part over 12 months for $30 each month interest free).  The car really should have been saved and was worth at least 3 or 4k when I sold it to her.

You think I'm crazy, but she was looking at used Honda Civics for 4k, and we all know who her # 1 passenger is going to be...so, my son is way safer.

Many of us have done something not economically practical as it relates to the hobby, but was fun or satisfying in the end.  It is difficult to resist doing these type of things, but worth it in the end.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Steve Passmore

This must be a show especially for the US market as I don't recall them featuring too many American cars here. Still makes me want to deny they are my countrymen.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bobby B

Steve,
   They butchered a Mustang Fastback, they had Corvettes, and some other American Cars. But these shows have nothing to do with restoring a car on a legitimate level. I hardly watch TV, as I'd rather be using my time constructively, but I usually tune in while I'm cleaning up the dinner table. Better than some other reality TV shows on the Tube. I hear where you're coming from, but people who aren't in the know might think that this is what working on cars is really about.......
                                                                              Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TJ Hopland

So there isn't going to be a part 2 where they go on the trip and then sell the car(s)?   Did I walk away too soon and miss something at the end?   

I just looked at next week's guide and its 'best of take 2 season finale' so apparently that was it for that story.

I guess I didn't watch many new ones from this season, I thought it just started but apparently its over, 18 episodes worth.   

Bobby B

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 29, 2016, 09:56:08 PM
   Did I walk away too soon and miss something at the end?   

TJ,
  Yeah...The Director Yelled "That's a Wrap"....as they walked away seperately in silence to collect their Big Fat Checks, apparently laughing all the way to the Bank. I think you'll survive on the re-runs until next season  ;D  ;D  ;D
                                                                                                                Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

TJ Hopland

I just went and looked at an episode guide for this season and I did see a couple.   The ones I didn't see didn't sound that exciting.   

I am a bit confused where are they?   They were in the USA for a season or two but I was thinking they were back in UK for the last season but in the Cadillac episode Mike said that Edd dragged him from CA back to UK ?   Maybe the Cad one was shot much earlier they just didn't know where to put it?   Maybe they had planned on doing the trip so that is why it sort of ended suddenly? 

Steve Passmore

Quote from: Bobby B on December 29, 2016, 06:05:09 PM
Steve,
I hear where you're coming from, but people who aren't in the know might think that this is what working on cars is really about.......
                                                                              Bobby

That's exactly my point Bobby. These idiots giving a completely wrong impression about what this hobby is about and what a typical Englishman is like to people who are very easily influenced by this rubbish. (One flash Cockney car salesman and one with a bad hairdresser)     Maybe it's the quaint accents fascinating you chaps :o

Just been reading up on this program and series 12 was indeed stationed in the US. Just for your market I guess.   Series 13 was supposed to come back here (shame) but looks like it didn't get off the ground.
China had his own own garage in the UK called 'Grease Junkie' which went bankrupt just 4 months ago.
Steve

Present
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

TJ Hopland

So maybe the show was barely hanging on and their best ratings were in the USA so that is why they moved?  But that didn't help so season 13 (the most recent one) was just sort of throw together with bits and pieces they had left over?     

Steve what else does the UK have to offer for car TV shows?   I think this and Top Gear is all we get over here.   Over there which are seen as bigger idiots?  The former top gear or Mike and Edd?   Or is there a show that is worse?   Over here I don't know that there is a 'good' car show.   They all have their share of faults and most are pretty short lived.  You do tend to see some of the semi popular hosts sort of float around different shows but for what ever reason none of em ever seem to stick. 

Bobby B

Quote from: Steve Passmore on December 30, 2016, 04:44:30 AM
These idiots giving a completely wrong impression about what this hobby is about and what a typical Englishman is like to people who are very easily influenced by this rubbish. (One flash Cockney car salesman and one with a bad hairdresser)     Maybe it's the quaint accents fascinating you chaps :o

Steve,
  We have a show over here called "Fast N' Loud"  :o.  If you think "Wheeler Dealers" is bad, you ain't seen nothing yet.  >:D  Think along the lines of Abbot and Costello or The Three Stooges with Dysfunctional Personalities. Throw in Hack Work, Bad Acting, Unrealistic Situations, and Phony Buyers. I think it was pitched to the network as a Comedy. So I honestly have no sympathy for you...... ;D ;D ;D

1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

76eldo

I guess I am in the minority because I really enjoy Wheeler Dealers.

Sure there is more going on behind the scenes but they do show a lot of great technical stuff on a wide variety of cars that they buy, refurbish as needed and sell.

The 1916 Cadillac episode does not really portray what they do and the show is not about car restoration.

There is a lot more "staging" and phony drama and false deadlines on most of the other shows. 

The earlier episodes really show a lot more of Edd's work in the garage.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

I honestly think this has to stop now. Stop referring to Mike and Edd as "idiots" they are clearly not and you are disgracing yourselves and all members of CLC by calling them that. If you hate them, feel free to do so, but not in this forum!

Happy new year.

TJ Hopland

It seems what happens with car shows is they come up with something interesting that 'car' people like and the show gets noticed.   At that point they get some real sponsors and real money which is where it all falls apart because they get a production team that is more interested in the sponsors and money than what made the show interesting in the first place.