News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

57 Biarritz abandoned in a Texas Tractor Supply parking lot

Started by 57eldoking, December 18, 2017, 02:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57eldoking

Just ran across this on Facebook and thought I'd share here in hopes someone may recognize the car and who owns it. Seems very suspicious...

1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Certain elements of the story call to mind the 1959 Cadillac "Death Car" saga.

Hopefully there's a less sinister explanation behind this one. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

johnregrus

An identical 57 Biarritz was sold last month on the CrankyApe website as a Texas flood salvage car.
The auction stated it had 4 inches of water above the floorboards but it ran.
It met the reserve asking price and was sold. Black car red interior with gold sabre wheels in Texas. Sounds like it might be the same car.
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

TMoore - NTCLC

How funny - I was at the Tractor Supply in Corsicana this Saturday - I did not happen to see this car, and I am sure that I would have noticed it since it was raining and there were not too many people there, but the timing might have been off.

There is a pretty finite number of Black 1957 Eldorados, especially ones wearing golden sabres.  This looks like it might be the one that was sold at Bonham's 2014 Scottsdale auction.

I will take a look at the membership directory this evening and see if I find a Dallas owner.  It is fun to be this close to a mystery.

smokuspollutus

Whomever abandoned the car was evidently concerned about door dings!

Bobby B

Quote from: TMoore - NTCLC on December 18, 2017, 04:41:40 PM
How funny - I was at the Tractor Supply in Corsicana this Saturday - I did not happen to see this car, and I am sure that I would have noticed it since it was raining and there were not too many people there, but the timing might have been off.

Because it wasn't there.  ::) NO ONE Abandons a car like that. Sorry......
                                                                                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

He'll be worried about more than that when the car gets towed, impounded & goes to lien sale!! Don't say it can't happen!!
Also... as a side note... it appears that all Texas flood cars are now branded with a NON repairable salvage title!!  So...  those cars might not be able to be  gotten  out of a impound situation. Pretty scary!!
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

Everything has a story.   Some good, some bad, and some downright funny.

This one was probably towed away because it was illegally parked.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

MeToo

Who just leaves a car like that and leaves? Sad!
Could the owner have gone for a walk and collapsed form a heart attack and gone missing in the bushes or been kidnapped?

D.Smith

How about this possibility? 

Phone rings in tow vehicle. 
Hello?
Yeah Bob did you look at that Title?   It says FLOOD NON REPAIRABLE.
Hold on, I'm pulling over, calling my Bank to stop that money transfer. 
Then I'm calling the auction house and seller and telling them where I am dropping off car.
Which is 5o feet away in this parking lot. 

LOL  Plausible?

57eldoking

The flooding info certainly opens up a lot more scenarios including this one!
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Could just be a simple no start and got a ride home and came back the next day with tools. I have had to do that in years past...... but you guys have more colorful ideas than me.
Jeff
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Quentin Hall

How far away is Roswell tx and Area 51. ? Maybe this is area 57?
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

59-in-pieces

A couple of years back, we had a stolen car ring operating in our area - knocked over 3 restoration places.
With the TV, Music, and Motion Picture businesses a big part of the scenery, several celebrity cars were stolen.
The local police said that the MO is to take the cars and keep them in an 18 wheeler tailor or park them in an out of the way place until they "COOL DOWN".
That is, the crooks keep an eye on the cars to see if the cops come snooping around.
After a time of no activity they come back and scoop them up and renumber the cars or part them out - and sell out of state.
Who knows, but what did it go for at the auction that was mentioned.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Have to love a society where a governmental body that has never seen, touched, sat in, started, ridden or driven "x car" yet has the right to effectively condemn said vehicle from lawfully being operated on a public roadway for all eternity.

I also know someone whose car was flood-branded for simply having been registered in a so-called flood zone without the car ever having seen a drop of water.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gary griffin

A few years ago there was a ring in Seattle that would steal high end cars and dismantle them carefully and then abandon them where they would be found. After a period of time they are auctioned off and they would buy the bodies and receive them with a title and reassemble and sell them.  A bright detective noticed the wiring was disconnected and most "Steal and Strip" guys cut the wiring to get the engine and transmission out easily.  The next time one was auctioned they followed the buyer to a farm with a large barn full of parts. They were doing about 2 a month as I recall.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bobby B

Quote from: gary griffin on December 19, 2017, 07:32:41 PM
A few years ago there was a ring in Seattle that would steel high end cars and dismantle them carefully and then abandon them where they would be found. After a period of time they are auctioned off and they would buy the bodies and receive them with a title and reassemble and sell them.  A bright detective noticed the wiring was disconnected and most "Steal and Strip" guys cut the wiring to get the engine and transmission out easily.  The next time one was auctioned they followed the buyer to a farm with a large barn full of parts. They were doing about 2 a month as I recall.

Gary,
In all fairness, Thieves aren't that smart. That's why they do what they do......
                                                                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 19, 2017, 06:08:44 PM
Have to love a society where a governmental body that has never seen, touched, sat in, started, ridden or driven "x car" yet has the right to effectively condemn said vehicle from lawfully being operated on a public roadway for all eternity.   
It is the Insurance Company that declares it as a repairable write-off, or a Statutory Write-off as they have paid out on it once, and therefore don't want to get caught again.   My own Ute was written off, and I got to keep the salvage, and soon it will be back on the road.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Bruce,
In this country... first came the "salvage" title. Then came the NON repairable title. Usually applied to total burns & other obviously non repairable vehicles. The non repairable "flood" cars is relatively new. Maybe those cars have to be shipped out of the country?? I guess if you have a valuable collector car.. you don't let it totaled ???
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.