News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Biarritz Sets Record Price at Mecum Indy.

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, May 19, 2018, 09:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

If this is the 1961 triple green EB from the 2009 GN in Las Vegas (the owner is from Montana, Tom I believe) that won best of show, then it is worth it.  It sure looks like it is.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Out of curiosity, can anyone answer whether this the correct steering wheel for this interior?  ??? Looks like the wheel for white leather with gray trim...

35-709

Don't know the answer but it does look out of place.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

James Landi

Speaking of "out of place," I was blessed to own  a "base 1961" convertible that came into my possession in 1966- through 72  .  It had a "bench"seat--- which suit my purposes just fine.  The leather pleating ran from side to side, and not fore and aft... I recall that the bench seat in the base model was far more padded... much thicker than the buckets... is this my poor memory or those buckets on par with the base convertible?  James

76eldo

Obviously it takes multiple bidders to produce a result like this.  Personally I just don't see this being worth more than 59/60 Eldorado convertibles but I guess someone really wanted this car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

That car is beautifully done.  I know "Tom from Montana" and
I also know who did many of his cars.  A first class resto shop
in Florida.  Actually, I'm sure Tom had more than $220k in the car --
but that price is quite an achievement.

I'm sure both buyer and seller are happy.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

kkkaiser

i like these 61s,  i particularly like that lower fin.  while i really like 59s, that upper fin lower profile with that lower offset fin on the bottom is really nice line,, at least to my eye.. this car looks good

Bill Young

That steering wheel should be medium blue with dark blue hand grips on each side.

chrisntam

Quote from: 76eldo on May 19, 2018, 07:49:44 PM
Obviously it takes multiple bidders to produce a result like this.  Personally I just don't see this being worth more than 59/60 Eldorado convertibles but I guess someone really wanted this car.

Brian

+1

If I had $220k to spend, it wouldn't be on that.  I'd get a Superbird.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

D.Smith

NADA value. Prior to auction.

So does one sale justify if the chart will change?

Scot Minesinger

Yes, presuming that is the 1961 Eldorado from the 2009 GN and speaking with the owner "Tom from Montana", he did have more than 220k in it, and he explained to me the extensive restoration process.  I like the 1961/1962 Eldorados better than the 1959/1960 because of the lower fins and the kind of "bat-mobile" look. 

If I had an extra 220k to spend on a classic car, and I was a preservationist (which I am not), this would be appealing.  I would rather just get a #2 or strong #3 1961 Eldorado for a 1/3 of that price and drive it.

The steering wheel does look out of place, but not a difficult fix, and just goes to show every car needs something.  When I saw the car in 2009 the only thing I noticed was a slight black paint chip on the passenger side hood hinge spring (another easy fix).  The car had the hood hinges redone in correct cadmium plating.  Very impressive car.  The undercarriage is finished as nicely as the exterior body.

D.Smith

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on May 20, 2018, 11:45:30 AM
Yes, presuming that is the 1961 Eldorado from the 2009 GN and speaking with the owner "Tom from Montana", he did have more than 220k in it,

No, restoration costs do not set a cars value.   Just because one guy spends $220K on his car doesn't make every nice 61 Biarritz worth $220K.   

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on May 19, 2018, 10:21:08 AM
Out of curiosity, can anyone answer whether this the correct steering wheel for this interior?  ??? Looks like the wheel for white leather with gray trim...

You're right. HOW does someone do that kind of restoration & NOT see that out-of-place wheel?? Next step is a white dash pad.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Scot Minesinger

Steve, seen this car up close and it is the lighting, engine color is correct, it won best of show at GN 2009.

D. Smith, yes of course what you spend on a car for restoration does not determine value, otherwise all our cars would be worth more.  Just agreeing with other contributor that there likely was more than 220k invested.

Bob, yes someone else posted about wrong color steering wheel, easy to fix though.

This is a stunning 1961 Cadillac.

Yes the car has a number of authenticity issues but either went unnoticed by the bidders present, or simply didn't care even if they were.

Cadillac once ran an ad with the headline, "Will you pay the price of a Cadillac and not get one?" 

Upon learning the auction result here, the first thing that came to my mind was...Will you pay the price of a 1959, and not get one?   ;D

Scot Minesinger

This is a #1 car with a minimal investment (steering wheel color change and generator cooling tube).  It was driven on a dynamometer indoors, so it is perfect.  It won best of show at GN2009 and was in the custody of a preservationist owner.  It is probably the nicest 1961 Eldorado in existence, if I owned it, then I would not drive it, because after a year and 2,000 miles it would probably be worth half of what was paid.

On the pay a 1959 price not get one, remember of course that auction prices tend to by high, especially for perfect condition and/or nice color combo - recall a triple black 1959 Eldorado that had the Fleetwood" chrome caps on the tail fins (incorrect, but looked awesome-I would do that), it was sold for like three and a half.

This is may well be finest '61 Cadillac Convertible in the world. An original 16,000 mile car, it's 100x more desirable than any restoration will ever hope to be. 

At less than 1/3 the money just 3 years ago, the selling price of the Biarritz is difficult to justify from a purely analytical standpoint.

Almost anything can happen at an auction as we all know. As far as establishing a benchmark for all 61/62 Biarritz - that's another matter altogether...

https://blog.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/HF15/Hershey/lots/r257-1961-cadillac-series-62-convertible-coupe/180793

WhiteCaddy70

I agree with Eric no restored car is as desirable as an unrestored original or as valuable either. Just my two cents worth. I saw the restored car very nice, but.
Doug 16070
Doug Brinson

Scot Minesinger

Batting one thousand, I saw the 1961 convertible Eric mentions before it was sold at Hershey a year or two back.  It was a real nice car.  No ac.  As I wrote in my post earlier, rather have a real nice one like this for a 1/3 of the price  of the subject of this thread that you can drive.