News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1966 deville convertible

Started by spolij, December 25, 2018, 12:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spolij

Still working on the interior. Just have to paint the dashboard.

Getting the rims and break drums sand blasted and then paint and new 2" white wall tires.

James Landi

Hi John, speaking for myself, and one who follows your posting, I always look forward to pictures.   Happy day,   James

spolij

spolij

So all the leather is dyed. I only have to paint the dash board black. And install the carpets properly.
I dropped off the rims today for sandblasting. They said about a week. Then i'll paint and have new tires put on it. The top is next.

hornetball

spolij

Thanks Brice
Here is my new tires. Sandblasted rims balanced (all weights on inside of tire) and installed.
What a job getting 5 of these tires in a new ford fusion.

spolij

Well screwed up again. I went to clean up the surfaces of the climate control rotery valves. Had to drill out a rivet then drill and tap for a bolt to replace the rivet  Drilling went fine but the tap broke in the bushing. So now i have to figure a way to bolt, i guess, the halves together, tight enough to seal but loose enough to swivel.

spolij

Engine went crazy again. Runs smooth next week, Doing no work runs slightly rough.
Is there some thing that automatically adjusts for humidity?

Re webbed seat belts. Looks great.
Re routed vacuum system got some heat.

Supposed to have decent weather next week. Will try to get top replaced. Oh wait can't drive in ohio   :-[

New tires feel great on the road.

spolij

This item Krylon K02421007 Fusion for Plastic Spray Paint, Satin BlackAm painting the plastic dash board. Gold to black. I know i need to prepare the surface - with what?
Do i need to prime? I'm thinking a matte black finish and a coat of semi gloss urathane top coat.
I want to be very careful not to fill in the grain.
Any recommendations on type of prep and paints?

According to The Spruce? "This item Krylon K02421007 Fusion for Plastic Spray Paint, Satin Black is the best paint for plastic.The formula is designed to avoid the need for a plastic paint primer or sanding so there is no wasted time or money spent on prepping the item. " $20 per can.
If i used this i think i should still use some kind of urathane or ? for scratch protection.

MaR

Quote from: spolij on March 31, 2020, 12:06:46 PM
This item Krylon K02421007 Fusion for Plastic Spray Paint, Satin BlackAm painting the plastic dash board. Gold to black. I know i need to prepare the surface - with what?
Do i need to prime? I'm thinking a matte black finish and a coat of semi gloss urathane top coat.
I want to be very careful not to fill in the grain.
Any recommendations on type of prep and paints?

According to The Spruce? "This item Krylon K02421007 Fusion for Plastic Spray Paint, Satin Black is the best paint for plastic.The formula is designed to avoid the need for a plastic paint primer or sanding so there is no wasted time or money spent on prepping the item. "

I use SEM vinyl and plastic dye for all of my interior projects. I have dyed virtually every part of a car with it and almost never have issues. I have even dyed steering wheels and manual shift knobs with no problems. The parts must be spotlessly clean and degreased. For extra dirty parts, I have used a Magic Eraser dipped in lacquer thinner but that's on the extreme. Most parts only need a good scrubbing with Dawn dish detergent and a good rinse. SEM does make an adhesion promoter for extra soft or super flexible materials but it's rarely needed.

spolij

Mitchell I've dyed the leather in my car so i have an air brush & compressor.
How do you apply yours? Brush wipe areosol spray? Do you cover with some kind of urathane for protection? On the smooth surface of the steering wheel do you sand first?
On the end of my shift handle and blinker is what looks like a leather plug does that come off?

spolij

I never knew ther were so many bolts holding the dashboard in! :(

MaR

Quote from: spolij on March 31, 2020, 01:48:38 PM
Mitchell I've dyed the leather in my car so i have an air brush & compressor.
How do you apply yours? Brush wipe areosol spray? Do you cover with some kind of urathane for protection? On the smooth surface of the steering wheel do you sand first?
On the end of my shift handle and blinker is what looks like a leather plug does that come off?
For more "standard" colors, the SEM dye comes in aerosol cans. For custom mixes like what I'm using for the Cranberry colored parts of my car, I spray it either with a refillable aerosol bottle or a small detail gun. I then top coat it with a SEM aerosol clear in the sheen that I'm trying to achieve. For a hard plastic steering wheel, I would scuff it lightly to remove any gloss, put down the color base coat and then use a 2k catalyzed clearcoat for durability. On my shift handle, I removed the outer and inner vinyl pieces (they were molded on) and dyed them individually. The turn signal would not come apart so I masked it and dyed it like that. Word of warning on the turn signal: the plastic for the outer housing seems to be acrylic so it is VERY reactive to the solvents in any kind of paint or dye. Apply the dye in very, very light coats and let it cure completely between coats or the plastic will crack. Alternatively, you could use a water based primer first and then dye it.

Bentley

I agree with Mithell on the SEM. I used it on the dash and all surrounding vinyl of my 68 and it works great. SEM maintains excellent color consistency from batch to batch, and year to year. It has been several years since I initially dyed it, and recently I had to buy a new can and do a touch up. The touch up matched perfectly.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

spolij

I looked on the SEM website. I couldn't find any thing that said dye.

spolij

I've been experimenting with doing the dash board in leather.

spolij

After removing 30 or so nuts and bolts i realized all i had to do was remove 5 or 6 and the dash came out structural frame and all, GRRRR :-\
I've decided to do the dash, steering wheel, column etc in black leather. The bottom two pic's are a sample for me to practice on. You tube showed a procedure of wetting the leather in a solution so it stretches better. Then the video lost me. Other video's show gluing a section at a time. they didn't say what glue to use. I think contact is not good. Need a little more time to work on the bends and curves. Yet it has  to set up within a few minutes.

spolij

I took out everything was I needed to. And I still can't get this horn button/blinker assembly out. It's a tilt telescoping unit.
I tried pulling on it with needle nose pliers and it moves but also the blinker shift rod moves. So I'm thinking it's attached somewhere. I can't get the housing off because the three shift rods go through the housing and I can't find out where the housing is attached.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

The ends of the blinker and gear selector come off. There's a large button top stud inside holding the plastic part. Apply a lttle heat and gently pry it off .
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

spolij

Do you mean this?