News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

winterizing a 331

Started by bullet bob, December 18, 2019, 07:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullet bob

Hate to admit it, but I haven't even started my '53 in several months. And I don't see that happening again until next spring. So I thought I'd pull the plugs and drop some Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, crank it for 1/2 second and lightly screw the plugs back in for it winter nap. Never done this before. My question is, MMO or some good 'ole 30w oil? 'Couple of ozs? TIA.
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

fishnjim

One could argue you're already late after 3 months, but depends how and where it's stored. 
If you really want to protect cylinders, my engine guy recommended WD40.  WD 40 has anti-rust moisture agents.  Couple sprays/fogs, turn it a time or two to disperse film on the cylinders/rings/valves.  If you want, run/drive it first - up to temperature.   Let cool then treat.   That'll get oil everywhere and evaporates the combustion water.
I wouldn't cold crank it much, defeats the purpose.   My take on MMO is why would anyone put something "mysterious" in their auto? but it has marvelled many for decades.   Some swear by it, some...   I prefer not to swear on any product at all.
If you use it, I'd put in a spray/mist bottle.   Liquid oil will just sit on the piston dome if you drop it down the spark hole.  aka wet compression test oiling.   Some of these light oils creep pretty good, aka "soaks in" => no such thing.
I'm prepared for flack...

Cadillac Jack 82

I've let my Cadillacs sit for 6 months without anything but lead additive in the gas tank and they've always fired right up the next time the weather gets nice.  Unless you're letting your car sit for an extremely long period of time you should be perfectly fine with just gas additive.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1964 Cadillac SDV
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Lexi

I have used MMO and WD-40. Not sure what is best, but whatever you use I would try and spray it around to coat all of the cylinder walls. With the MMO I sprayed it using a syringe. I would assume after several months these products would drain past the rings. Depending on when you start your engine, you may want to inspect the cylinders or at least crank it over with the plugs out prior to firing it up. MMO is not compressible and you would not want to incur any engine damage if there is still some in the cylinder when first started. I have been told that there is the danger of bending a push rod if there is significant resistance from such still sitting on top of the piston. Clay/Lexi

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

You can use marine engine fogging spray. I used it for years on my boat engines. It always burned off fine in the spring at start up albeit smokey for a few mins.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

35-709

...........  "I have been told that there is the danger of bending a push rod if there is significant resistance from such still sitting on top of the piston. Clay/Lexi"

;D  Connecting rod.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: 35-709 on December 18, 2019, 02:57:30 PM
...........  "I have been told that there is the danger of bending a push rod if there is significant resistance from such still sitting on top of the piston. Clay/Lexi"

;D  Connecting rod.
Yes. It is called hydraulic lock and can happen easily on radial aircraft engines.
The odds of that on a car engine that has been sitting for months are slim but I agree with you and would still spin it with the plugs out 1st.
Then again I have always likes the looks of a belt with suspenders.

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Lexi

Silly me, that was the rod I was thinking of. I have not even got into the egg nog yet. Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

I find it funny when the Shop Manual mentions procedures when Laying up, and people talk about "Winterising" when parking a car for the Winter and I can understand draining the coolant for long winter stays, as my boat engine gets drained of coolant at the Exhaust Manifolds after each use (Salt Water but fresh water flushed).  (Thankfully we don't freeze down here)

The shop Manual mentions steps to take when not using a car for a short time, and a long time, and anything over a month is supposed to be treated specially.   I read it twice, whilst in my Library, and couldn't believe the steps recommended.

My cars can, and do sit for 3 and 4 months without use, and start right up with no trouble at all.   When my Caddy sat for 8 months without use when I was crook, it also started right up.  My Ute engine sat for 2 years whilst I was repairing the body.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dplotkin

Quote from: 35-709 on December 18, 2019, 02:57:30 PM

;D  Connecting rod.

You were more correct the first time. A sticking pushrod happens. Only time I've seen it is on a 58 Fleetwood. Much of what you should or should not do has to do with storage environment. Is it heated? Is it dry? Stuck rings will just give you a stuck engine. Heated spaces keep condensation out of engines which prevents rust.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Lexi

I thought that both could be damaged, starting first with the connecting rod, then possible push rod damage. Other components are also potentially at risk. Not familiar with marine engine fogging spray Jim mentioned. Sounds interesting. Clay/Lexi

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jim Miller

I've fogged my boat engine for years at the end of each season. It's a big 1967 Chrysler V-8. I get her warm and pour MMO down the carb until she dies. Then drain the water jackets. But, it sits in on slings in an unheated boat house. My cars are in a garage that stays at 50 degrees, so I just change the oil, pull them into the garage and hook up a trickle charger.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX