News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Cadillac today?

Started by TJ Hopland, May 07, 2020, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

I got love bugs all over the front of both CTSs. But not anywhere neat the bazillion that were in a chevy sedan that pulled up at a light. I don't see how the driver could see through the windshield.

They'll die off in a week or so. Need to get the cars cleaned pronto though.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

JohnnyRockit

It was a busy day. Amazon finally brought my suction throttling valve (STV) rebuild kit, so I:

- removed the old valve disassembled it and cleaned it.
- rebuilt the STV with a new diaphragm and o-rings
- reassembled everything, pulled a vacuum and checked for leaks, then pulled another vacuum to eliminate the moisture in the system.
- added Ester Oil, leak- detection dye and 51 ounces of 134a refrigerant

Now I have 42-degree air coming out of the vents, according to the infrared thermometer, nice.

Now, if only I had the rear glass installed I could keep the cold air inside the car! Hopefully the new gasket for the rear glass will arrive tomorrow.

Johnny

1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

2manycars

Got the engine out of mine.Trans is still in there. I was surprised the rear main crank seal is not leaking. Pretty much everything else IS though. Trans is leaking big time as well. They both run and work fine though.

Now the cleanup and checkout begins...
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

JohnnyRockit

Received my new back window gasket and a tube of 3M bedding & glazing compound. Followed the directions in the service manual.

It was, um, difficult and unfulfilling. And still a work in progress.

On a side note, if you intend to follow the service manual directions, you will need 2 tubes of the 3M compound. And when you run short, there is absolutely no place open on a Saturday afternoon that has it in stock.   To be continued...

Johnny

1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

Saturnin15

I took a ride in my 56 Sedan deVille!  First ride of the year!
Sedan Deville 1956

chrisntam

Nothing.  I did look at it in the garage.  Raining all day.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

2 Devilles

Took my '60 on a 400 mile road trip. Went around Flathead Lake to Columbia Falls for a swap meet. Came back and did our local Saturday cruise. Great day.

Lucas Johnson

1960 Coupe Deville
1970 Coupe Deville
1972 Mach 1 Mustang
1974 F100 2wd
1977 F250 Highboy
1994 F250 4x4

MaR

I had a bit of mission creep on my latest project. What started out as me removing the front fender to adjust the door hinges ended up with me disassembling the entire front suspension on that side and cleaning everything to paint it....

Cadman-iac

Quote from: MaR on May 18, 2020, 09:58:16 AM
I had a bit of mission creep on my latest project. What started out as me removing the front fender to adjust the door hinges ended up with me disassembling the entire front suspension on that side and cleaning everything to paint it....

Somebody got a job on their hands!!!

It looks like you will have a better car for it though.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

MaR

Quote from: Cadman-iac on May 18, 2020, 10:21:57 AM
Somebody got a job on their hands!!!

It looks like you will have a better car for it though.
Since the car is not rusty and I'm under no time crunch to get it done, it's actually quite fun. While taking it apart, I found a bad lower ball joint and an iffy wheel bearing so it will actually be better when I put it back together.

bctexas

Replacing the fuel pump and aged rubber hose feeding it on my '65 CDV.  With the pump off, a peek thought the hole with a bright light revealed - a shiny new cam sprocket and chain!  Not a spot of old brown deposits on it.  YEEEHAAA!  One big thing I don't have to worry about on the old car....   ;)
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

JohnnyRockit

Rear window now completely in today. Put all the trim back on which was a very physical job!

Pulled off the trunk lid and removed the trunk seal. Cleaned out the channel and sprayed it with rust reformer to stop any future rust issues. Tomorrow to the parts store and get some weatherstrip adhesive and install the new seal.

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

cadillacmike68

Cleaned off all the love bugs from the CTSs on Sat. They are past the swarm stage, only picked up a couple into town and back today.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Ohjai

Lexi, what type of cork did you use and where did you get it?  I tried some from a couple of local parts house, the kind impregnated with blue rubber.  I used it to seal a gas sender and after about a year the cork/rubber had shrunk and was leaking pretty bad. 

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

Harley Earl

Installed 6 volt LED taillights, license plate, trunk, dash, glove box and marker lights!  All at 3000k color temperature; the light they produce is the same shade as an incandescent but MUCH BRIGHTER with far less wattage!  Used a 6v electronic flasher, nice click that matches the OEM flasher that it replaced. 

Thanks to a previous poster on suggesting ledlight.com, great 6v selection!
Hoping for a Standard Trans Cimarron

Previous
1950 Series 61 Sedan - Savoy Gray
1974 Coupe de Ville - Victorian Amber Firemist
1959 Coupe de Ville - Brenton Blue
And 20 "other" Cadillacs from the 40s to the 80s

JohnnyRockit

Got the trunk seal in today.

I haven't driven my car since November and I was dying to at least take her around the block and check out the A/C function and let her finally get above a fast idle.

Cruised around the neighborhood awhile and a couple of 40 mph roads...all good so far! It was 95 degrees in Dallas and pretty comfortable in the car.

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

JohnnyRockit

Reinstalled the rear half of the interior today and gave the exterior a good wash.

Drove around till I had about 1/8 of a tank and put in some fresh fuel. I think the last time I put fuel in was either Sep or Oct last year.

I was contemplating putting in an electric fuel pump near the tank since I was getting some pretty good vapor lock last fall, but instead I replaced the mechanical fuel pump. It was about 95 degrees yesterday and low 80's today and I had no vapor lock issues. Hopefully, the new fuel pump solved it!

Anyway, I know something else is no doubt about to break, but for the moment it was 2 steps forward and no steps back (for once).

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

Tom Boehm

I didn't do anything on a Cadillac today. I worked on my LASALLE  !   I am restoring the tailgate hardware on my 1940 Lasalle woodie. Almost all the hardware was with the car but it was very rust pitted. I skimmed all the pieces with bondo and sanded before painting. The piano hinges for the back window and tailgate were rusted solid. I blasted them and soaked them in Evapo Rust for a month to get them movable.
1940 Lasalle 50 series

Jon S

Took it for a nice drive today.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lexi

Nice shots Jon. Great seeing your car "out in the wild". Clay/Lexi