News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Cadillac today?

Started by TJ Hopland, May 07, 2020, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

Quote from: lexi on May 22, 2020, 11:52:51 PM
Nice shots Jon. Great seeing your car "out in the wild". Clay/Lexi

Thanks!  It gets out quite a bit but has to compete with the Lincoln and Corvette. Such problems; not!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

MikeLawson

Finally turned the 4-way power seat on my '67 DeVille into a 6-way power seat.  A sticky clutch in the seat transmission had always caused erratic operation of the rear tilt function.  I never realized it was possible to remove the transmission without first removing the seat. I managed to get the seat in the fully elevated position and saw that there was access to everything.  In order to make the repair, you really have to want to do it AND be a contortionist. Working under the seat is like working in a cave. Fortunately, the seat transmission looked like brand new inside and after a thorough cleaning and relubing, it works perfectly. Sure is nice to have the seat working properly.

Lexi

Quote from: Jon S on May 23, 2020, 07:34:07 AM
Thanks!  It gets out quite a bit but has to compet with the Lincoln and Corvette. Such problems; not!

I wish I had that problem! I like those shots taken while driving on the road from inside your car. They can be challenging, especially exposure wise. Those pictures, as well as those of our cars on the road mixed with other traffic are rarely seen. Had mine out yesterday and hooked up with a couple of CLC members. Maintained social distancing, but still got to see my buddies newly acquired '59 CDV and '72 Eldo. A good day. Clay/Lexi

Jeepers Creepers

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

bcroe

Quote from: 2manycarsHere is a solution I found to the problem of removing and securing a large heavy hood. It secures to the lift beam of my engine cherry picker. Worked like a charm, and I was able to handle this task alone.

You DO still have to hold onto it so that the assembly doesn't pivot out of control into someplace you don't want the hood to be - like into your windshield! 

Just mentioning, I always place a few short 2 X 4s vertically along the
windshield just in case something does swing over there.  I find a
parking place and use a couple small chains to suspend the front of
the hood to the ceiling.  Then the rear is unbolted and lifted a bit for
clearance and also chained up.  Now car is moved to work spot. 
Bruce Roe

davedeltadog

I clay barred and ceramic coated the entire seventeen and a half feet of my 69 coupe de Ville. It took more than one day but was worth the effort.

Lexi

"Jeepers Creepers" nice shot you posted. Clay/Lexi

Jeepers Creepers

Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Andrew Trout

I replaced the passenger rear fender crown molding (on top of the fin) on my '61 convertible over the weekend. It was a lot more involved than I was expecting, as I had to take out the jack, spare tire, and cardboard side panel from the trunk to access one bolt, which also involved climbing into the trunk to reach. I wanted to replace the spear tip on that fin as well, but ran out of time as we were going to a friend's house for socially distant drinks. This means I'll have to remove the trim again to access the screw in the spear tip. Ah well, it's just a hobby.

I've also started clay barring the car to remove...something...that's all over the car. I've got the glass cleaned up, as well as most of the hood and 3/4 of the trunk. It's hard as I'm doing in this in the shade so I don't get sunburn, so it's easy to miss small spots here and there. I should be done by the fall at the rate I'm going  :-\
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

TJ Hopland

I used my 73 to pull my 4x4 Suburban out of the mud next to my driveway.   Mud like many natural tings is some amazing stuff that for the most part does what it wants, not what you want.    Had the front wheels of the car on the pavement.  Spun the tires a bit but got er done.         
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

JohnnyRockit

I wanted to take the '62 CDV out for a spin the other evening and was hurrying my wife along to get going and she commented, "what's the matter, don't you have any headlights?" Well, of course I have headlights, I just wanted to get going.

After about 10 minutes of cruising the neighborhood of course, the headlights shut themselves off, for a few seconds. This happened with the "on and off" on the way back to the house. I couldn't wait till the next day (I'm just impatient all the way around, I guess) so after dinner I took off the dash pad and took out the headlight switch.

I cleaned the terminals and the circuit breaker, reassembled and turned the headlights on and monitored the circuit breaker temp with an infrared thermometer. Sure enough within about 10 minutes the switch was hitting 200 degrees and the circuit breaker started cycling.

I googled headlight relay systems and ordered some relays, wiring and fuses off of Amazon. In the meantime I cleaned off the terminal where everything plugs in for front lighting at the radiator support. I think the resistance there was causing my problem as the temp test after cleaning that up never exceeded 150 degrees on the headlight switch and the breaker never tripped.

Still, I already had the parts coming. I spent most of the day wiring in everything and locating the relays in the recessed part behind the washer bottle just for appearance sake.

I haven't pulled the dash pad off again to check temps, but the good news is that the headlights worked when I pulled the switch!

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

scotth3886

I got my rough idle issue fixed.  It got worse today heading to our Thursday night hangout, and then I noticed that door locks and trunk release quit functioning entirely.  That told me a big vacuum leak somewhere.  The big line going to the vacuum canister had split and tonight fell off.  Cut the split out of it and reinstalled and everything now works and idles smoothly.  Line was probably original since it was pretty brittle so I'll replace tomorrow.

scotth3886

Nice Saturday.  One of our C-Bus Cars and Coffee isn't happening so we did it anyways.  Big crowd and more so than any C&C I remember there.

Funny, the red Howdie TT parked next to me is about the same length as my wheelbase.

Oh, and speaking of wheelbase and wheels, on the way down there going at a rather stout clip around the fly under ramp from 270wb to 315sb, I evidently flung my right rear sabre wheel center cap off into the weeds.

A couple of rice boys were heading through the ramp at a pretty good speed so I thought I'd teach 'em some respect for these old matrons of the highway and pass them on the outside, which I did, but at a cost.  So if anyone has a center cap for sale, I'm short one.

But all in all it was a great day down there.  True, C-Bus is mostly an import town, but the giant feetwood found plenty of attention.  Many of them would ask "long is it"? and I'd answer, "it's adequate, but isn't that kind of a personal question".  Finally I'd tell them that's its 3" longer than my garage.

jaxops

Fixed the spark plug wires (one was not all of the way on) for the 1956; and drove the 1949 around the block.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

JohnnyRockit

Rebuilt the Carter AFB today. Never done one before...the only other carb I’ve rebuilt was the Q-Jet on my ‘78 Eldorado a few years back. Anyway, it turned out fine and all. I have to say I’ve never seen so much “mud” in the bottom of the bowls before, but then I’ve never rebuilt a carb this old before either!

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

The Tassie Devil(le)

Today I decided to rectify the broken Glove Box stay that holds the Glove Box lid in the horizontal position when open.

The reason the left one is more prone to breaking is that when closed, the wire is tightly collapsed on itself, creating a sharp bend where the end enters the holder.   I had replaced one in 2009 with a stay from the '71 Eldo that I stripped, and was not happy when I saw that it had broken.   The Right one simply moves up into the space above the lid with no sharp bend.

I happened to have some Stainless Steel wire that is very flexible, and carefully removed the broken strands from the retainer, and inserted the new wire into the hole, and re-compressed the fitting.

Now it is back in place, it should last forever.

But, next time, I will reconfigure the bottom holder to ease the bending movement on closing.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

scotth3886

We replaced EVERYthing on the front of that engine in my 66.  Timing cover looked to be in real good shape. 

Out of all of the parts that I ordered to do this job, the only thing missing was a thermostat gasket, which I'll go pick up in the morning.

I hope it starts and runs so I can cruise the seven seas.

JohnnyRockit

Removed the extension housing on the Hydramatic today...transmission work is new to me.

Got all new seals and a tail shaft
bushing coming from FatsCo Transmission in NJ.

Hopefully I can get this thing to stop leaking!
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

bcroe

Sometimes seals fail because the bearing is worn and allows
the shaft to move around too much. Hope yours is fixed. 
Bruce Roe

David Fleming

I have just been loving mine!  Only had it a few months and since its only got 13K miles on it  I am using it as my daily driver when its not raining.  Here is a picture of it