News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Cadillac today?

Started by TJ Hopland, May 07, 2020, 01:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Had to get a tire patched on the 1996 Fleetwood. The car is semi retired (like me!) and only gets out every week or two to warm it up and move things around. Well, the last time I must have run over a nail.  >:D

Two local tire shops refused to patch it because it was more than 5-6 years old, but Ed Morse Cadillac in Tampa FL came through, patched it and re-balanced it for me while the red CTS was getting its oil changed.

I need to keep these tires as long as possible because 235-70-15 in white sidewall are VERY HARD to find.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

MaR

I made new splash shields for my drivers side front wheel well.

cadillacmike68

Mitch,

Where did you get the masticated rubber from?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    You can buy that at Rubber The Right Way ,

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

MaR

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 22, 2020, 11:40:14 AM
Mitch,

Where did you get the masticated rubber from?

www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com

cadillacmike68

Thanks.

By the way, Nice clean wheel well.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Matti R

Rear brake has been sticking time to time since I bought my Eldo coupe some months ago. Yesterday when I tried to leave garage, it was sticking so bad that finally I had to check it. I had bought new wheel cylinder already, as I expected that leaking and sticking. And yes, that was the case. Additionally the friction material was completely detached from another brake shoe. And there was too much dirt inside the drum. Luckily I had new brake shoes available, and managed to change those with new wheel cylinder. I did some ultrasound washing for metal parts as well. Works great now.
Below photos before and after.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

JohnnyRockit

Well, my transmission leak ended up being the slip yoke itself. The plug insert needed sealing so I sealed it inside and out, no leaks so far.

And, finally got the rear brakes all finished. Apparently, this car didn't have functional rear brakes for the 2 years I've owned it. Rear brake hoses were completely swollen shut and one of the wheel cylinders was seized up. I ordered a complete set of stainless brake lines from Inline Tube and so far just replaced the rears, I'll do the whole thing eventually, but the front brakes are fine and I was ready to get some cruising done!

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR

CadillacJacques

added trans fluid, power steering fluid and drove the 66 to the local parts warehouse bought anew  battery and filled up the gas tank. ordered a new a\c compressor, dryer, POA valve upgrade and radio.

MaR

Jay Friedman

I took my '49 for a 7 mile ride to keep it exercised.  Other than weekly rides like that I haven't driven it since the pandemic began. It also doesn't need any repairs or servicing at the moment, so haven't done anything else with it either.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

spolij

66 deville conv, Spent most of the day trying to find out why the open trunk light stays on when i put the headlights on, even when the trunk is closed. The switch in the trunk works properly. There is no ground in the wire going to the trunk. I even cut the wire near the dash board and grounded it, no change.Can't read the scematics too well. Trying to see whats between the switch and the bulb.
Well tomorrows another day.

Andrew Trout

Went over to a friend's house for a guy's dinner, as our wives got together at my house for drinks and dinner. Brought some homemade sausages, and opted to do some light yatching as well.

It was great to get the Cadillac out for a bit before my wife and I go on vacation next week. It was a little cool with the top down once the sun set, so I need to do a better job keeping an eye on evening temperatures and bringing a light jacket or sweater with me. I rolled up the windows and that helped with the breeze, but getting the heater controls sorted remains a priority task for me. The dash and instrument cluster lights continue to operate without issue which makes the evening/night time driving experience very pleasurable. As impressive as the dashboard styling is in the daytime, I think the softer lighting from the instruments and occasional streetlight really shows off the beauty it has.

I also had a lot of people honking at me which I'm guessing was them saying 'nice car' or something to those effects. That's less enjoyable.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Matti R

The radiator of my 71 Eldo convertible had created a leak, and I did not notice that until the engine overheated. It seems that head gasket is still ok and no damages. I got radiator re-cored, overflow tank pipe repaired, and painted. I believe it will stay in duty for next 50 years again. Changed thermostat and rad cap as well. Runs well now! I should add water temp gauge now.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

cadillacmike68

Changed the oil after my 2 hr parking episode lot on the frankenstein bridge last week. Put in Shell Rotella T6 15w-40 full synthetic and a half bottle zinc additive. Cleaned it all it up (removed all the wheel covers and cleaned the insides and the wheels), and took it out to a cars & coffee this morning in Land-o-Lakes FL. It's been overcast all day but no rain. Very humid though.

Might go out again later with the boss lady to a specialty store in Dade City. She needs to have her Malta drinks.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

This summer have been driving my 1970 Cadillacs almost as daily drivers.  And they have gone to the dog.  Got a good seat belt and with some minor modifications made it work for a 1970 DVC.  He is probably the most appreciative passenger.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Matti R

I finally started replacing the heating core in 71 Eldo conv. I learned about 6 months ago that the reason for not getting any heat inside was that the water hoses were blocked years ago. And that most probably means that the core is leaking. I got the heater case out and the core changed. The old one was probably original as there is 71 marking in the bottom. Then I noticed that floor outlet was not sitting properly in its place. To my surprise there was plastic plate which was blocking the floor outlet. When removing it, I could see it was made from steering fluid bottle! This car is imported to Finland from Florida in 1998, and I am pretty sure this ”improvent” has been made in Florida, together with blocking the hoses to heater.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

Matti R

Quote from: Matti R on August 27, 2020, 02:56:56 PM
I finally started replacing the heating core in 71 Eldo conv. I learned about 6 months ago that the reason for not getting any heat inside was that the water hoses were blocked years ago. And that most probably means that the core is leaking. I got the heater case out and the core changed. The old one was probably original as there is 71 marking in the bottom. Then I noticed that floor outlet was not sitting properly in its place. To my surprise there was plastic plate which was blocking the floor outlet. When removing it, I could see it was made from steering fluid bottle! This car is imported to Finland from Florida in 1998, and I am pretty sure this ”improvent” has been made in Florida, together with blocking the hoses to heater.
It seems that I found the root cause for those mods: AC is blowing lots of air to floor in almost all control head lever positions, and it is max hot temp. By blocking the hoses and the floor outlet it has been somehow possible to drive. I tried with another programmer, and it works much better. Still no air to windshield in any control head lever position. Need to study a bit more.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   For almost a year now I have been Bothered by the fact that my rear courtesy lights did not work on my 1970 Coupe DeVille . The lights were getting power but the ground was not working . I ran a  test wire from the  rear courtesy ground and connected it to the Front courtesy lights ( running the wire from outside of the trunk into the front door ) as a test and they worked fine . So I decided to remove both  back seat cushions . Found a plastic channel with a handful of wires that ran down the back of the seat ( Driver side ) continued Under the back seat then  continued under the rear rug continued under the driver side front seat . This channel splits when it enters the front floor section . This is where all courtesy lights are spliced together .  There it was the broken white wire from the rear courtesy lights . I Spliced the wire and soldered it together and covered it with heat shrink tubing . Problem solved . The Schematic showed these wires all coming together but had no idea where the intersection was .  For anybody else that  might have this  problem the ground terminal is under the front driver seat carpet as it enters the front floor pan . I Can not tell you how happy I was to find this ground junction . I am happy to report that every single thing works as it should in my car  100 % .  I Also found a carpet tag as I pulled  up the front carpet  dated May 27th  1970 . My car was built June 8th 1970.

Bill

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Harley Earl

What have I done today with my Cadillac..? 

...Entered the 2020 Cadillac & Lasalle Gran National show, of course...

Very easy, simple to upload a picture.  No lengthy blurbs needed.  Easiest car show I have ever entered!

Voting begins on the 15th!
Hoping for a Standard Trans Cimarron

Previous
1950 Series 61 Sedan - Savoy Gray
1974 Coupe de Ville - Victorian Amber Firemist
1959 Coupe de Ville - Brenton Blue
And 20 "other" Cadillacs from the 40s to the 80s