News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Any idea how to get Bob from South Carolina to quit calling trying to buy my car

Started by chrisntam, September 10, 2020, 10:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadman-iac

Quote from: harry s on September 12, 2020, 10:30:55 AM
Speaking of car warranty telemarketers, I picked up on a number that looked familiar but turned out to be one. I asked how can I get you people to stop calling me. His Indian accented reply was "change your number or kill yourself" and he  hung up. I have to give him an A for his response.     Harry

You should have told him to follow his own suggestion. When I get calls like that, if I answer,  I'm immediately very rude, because I know the numbers of my friends and family, so it's no skin off my nose if I pi$$  them off.
My in laws are both legally blind and can't read the caller ID, so each call gets answered unfortunately.  When we are over and the phone rings,  I'll answer it as if it was a little child, saying random things and asking it this is grandma or something like that. I try to keep them on the line as long as possible just screwing with them. My father in law gets a kick out of it.
I've noticed that a lot of the calls are just recordings now too. Not sure what you have to say to get an actual person on the line so you can insult them. Still trying to figure that one out.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

David Greenburg

I often answer unknown calls with “Special Agent.”  Weeds out the (live) scammers pretty quickly.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cadman-iac

Quote from: David Greenburg on September 12, 2020, 02:16:15 PM
I often answer unknown calls with “Special Agent.”  Weeds out the (live) scammers pretty quickly.

LOL!!!  I like that one,  I gotta remember that and see how it works!
CLC# 32373

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Bo y'all think that by now Bob has gotten the message (if there is in fact one)?   I was taught early on that No is a complete sentence.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

harry s

Oh he's real and as mentioned before "no" is not part of his vocabulary.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Glen

Years ago, when the telemarking thing was on the rise, I recorded the tones you hear when you get a number not in service.  I put those tones on my answering machine and after a short pause my outgoing message.  The telemarking guys hang up immediately and remove my number from their list.  Friends and family would pause a while and hear my message and they got used to it.   It worked for a while, but the wife did not like it and I had to remove it. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jason Edge

Again, I have to say I find all the effort used to figure out how to handle a phone call amusing. I guess I am just the odd person here. If I get an incoming call and don't recognize it, or do not have time to chat, or know it is a scammer, etc., I do not answer it, and let it go to voice mail. Simple as that. I will listen to the voice mail later at my convenience, and call back if needed.  If it is an annoyance call, especially if it is a repeat offender, the # gets blocked. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Lexi

99.99% of the time I normally do what Jason does. Also did a variation of David's and Glen's thing a couple of times as well. Though sometimes I feel like having a little fun with these privacy intruders, so I give them a taste of their own medicine. I guess this is like an extension of David's play. What follows is how it was done.

Incoming call from say a telemarketer. I answer by saying in a business like tone; "R-U Ready", (i.e. Are You Ready). Silence from the telemarketer as they are not sure who they have on the line. I then add to break the awkward silence "Hello? This is the Reginald Usborne Reddy Funeral Home, may I help you"? (pun intended) Then I hear some awkward, muffled speech, so I jump in with "We offer an alternative to the Simple Alternative. May I help you"? They usually hang up but a couple of times there was some chit chat where I then explained they got hold of a private, back room business line newly acquired and that I am in the middle of an embalming procedure. Then I turn the tables on them by offering a funeral service plan by asking "By the way, seeing that I have you on the phone, have you made your final plans sir"? Sometimes adding that we have a special on cremation. One shocked caller profusely apologized and said they would take my number off of their call list. For this to work you got to be convincing and actually sound happy that you got them on the line, as this is supposed to be a business! As in the movie The Sting, the mark can't know that they have been conned. For years I had zero telemarketer calls.

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Clay, that's a good one,  love it.  My in-laws need some sort of message,  or a method,  to stop this issue.  My father in law is going nuts from all the calls.
CLC# 32373

GBrown #8092

We have made contact with Mr Williams about his business practices.
Please advise if the calls continue.

Glenn Brown

Big Fins

My phone number area code is 954, which is Broward County, Florida. When I'm in the mood to play with their brains, I just answer, 'Broward County Medical Examiner's Office, Autopsy Department'. CLICK, they're gone.

Many scammers use the home area code and a number rotator to place scam calls that cannot be traced back to them. 99% of the time, if they are not in my contacts, I have no reason to answer. Leave a voicemail. Chances are, I'll call you right back.

But, Bruce and now Glenn, have done what they can to alleviate the situation. Hopefully it works.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Lexi

Quote from: Cadman-iac on September 13, 2020, 11:10:07 AM
Clay, that's a good one,  love it.  My in-laws need some sort of message,  or a method,  to stop this issue.  My father in law is going nuts from all the calls.

Cadman-iac I sent you some suggestions! As for Mr. Williams, I hope he amends that aspect of his business conduct. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: lexi on September 13, 2020, 12:23:07 PM
Cadman-iac I sent you some suggestions! As for Mr. Williams, I hope he amends that aspect of his business conduct. Clay/Lexi

Thanks Clay,
Got them, and responded. Appreciate it.
CLC# 32373

dadscad

Quote from: Cadman-iac on September 13, 2020, 11:10:07 AM

Look at "First Alert" telephones. My wife and I bough one on Amazon for her elderly mom. It verbally announces the incoming number when it rings. You can program in names and matching numbers for a verbal announcement of the incomming callers name. It had an emergency pendant she could press to call 911 for an emergency. HTH
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Cadman-iac

Quote from: dadscad on September 13, 2020, 04:27:59 PM
Look at "First Alert" telephones. My wife and I bough one on Amazon for her elderly mom. It verbally announces the incoming number when it rings. You can program in names and matching numbers for a verbal announcement of the incomming callers name. It had an emergency pendant she could press to call 911 for an emergency. HTH

Thank you very much for the information.  I didn't know you could get such a thing.  It sounds perfect for them.  Once we get them one,  we'll have to train her to listen to the announcement before she grabs for the phone.  That is very helpful,  thank you for the suggestion.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Quote from: dadscad on September 13, 2020, 04:27:59 PM

Yes that sounds awesome. Probably better that way. Truth of the matter is that while years ago we had live telemarketers on the other end of the line, today with robo-calling, I don't think a robot is going to care about the "R. U. Ready Funeral Home" ploy, (as per my post above)-as Big Fins pointed out. LOL. But it was fun while it lasted. As is often the case, technology marches on and takes away much of the "fun" that we used to experience. Clay/Lexi

dadscad

Quote from: Cadman-iac on September 13, 2020, 05:07:01 PM
  Thank you very much for the information.  I didn't know you could get such a thing.  It sounds perfect for them.  Once we get them one,  we'll have to train her to listen to the announcement before she grabs for the phone.  That is very helpful,  thank you for the suggestion.

Rick

You're welcome. I should mention that you have to have caller ID for it to work.
David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

76eldo

Isn’t against the rules of the forum to bash an individual ?
I never met the guy but I’m sure he’s not such a bad guy.
Obviously he’s using the directory improperly but I think this ones been discussed enough.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
   Bob Williams had called me a few times . I have always found him to be very respectful  and courteous.  He is looking to match cars with people . We almost had a deal but the potential buyer  always bushed back the date on the deal . He even had a fellow Cadillac LaSalle club member check out my car . It went very smoothly except for the sale . I had a buyer show up with cash and as always cash talks .  I explained to Bob I had a buyer and he was very understanding and polite . I think he is a guy that has been around Cadillacs all his life and enjoys being the middle man . He told me he is 92 years old and had a Cadillac dealership in his younger days . I found him to be a very nice person . Although I never met him .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe