News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1991 Fleetwood FWD Shocks

Started by eldorado75@aol.com, May 29, 2023, 10:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldorado75@aol.com

Morning all & Happy Memorial Day. Thanks to any club members who fought & served our great nation.

I have a confession to make - this is my first post so go easy on me.

I have a highly optioned 1991 FWD Fleetwood. I am not a mechanic but have a good one at my disposal. I wanted him
to replace all 4 shocks/struts on the car and we learned a few things:

All 4 of them have electrical connections going to them.

My Service Parts ID sticker says I have both FE1 & FX3. I believe this means I have computer command ride CCR & level ride compressor.

We are having a hard time finding exact replacements. Does not sound like they exist anymore? 

Does anyone have experience or suggestions on which ones I should use as replacements?  My compressor still works so I want to stay with an air shock, buy what do we do with the electrical connectors to fool my computer into thinking they are plugged in so I don't keep getting suspension codes on the dash lights.

Lastly I'd love to get the electroluminescent badges on the sail panels to work. Too much trouble?  A unicorn to find? 

I'm not worthy of your expertise, but I'd sure love someone to impart some wisdom here.

Kind Regards - Don Dulkoski

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The electronic struts have been discontinued long ago. Just order standard struts for DeVille which will work and ride fine. I believe Level Ride was standard on all C-body DeVilles/Fleetwoods so replacements for the rear should have air line fittings allowing that portion of the suspension system to remain operative.

The "Service CCR" dash warning lamp will remain illuminated once the original struts have been replaced (if it isn't already) which is easily removed. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

https://www.strutmasters.com/collections/Cadillac-Fleetwood-1991

There were some versions of those lights that were fiber optic operated by a bulb in the trunk.  Not sure if that was the case in 91 or not.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The roof crests are illuminated by a special paper directly behind each crest.

Need an electro luminescent kit available at a hobby shop which includes the paper and a transformer that steps up voltage from 12 to 120. The paper is cut out in the shape of the crest and conductive glue is used to attach the leads from the transformer which will also have to be lengthened.

The rear sail trim will have to be removed for access. Unless  mechanically and electrically inclined, this isn't a job for the beginner.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

eldorado75@aol.com

Thank you for the prompt responses. I hope to get these put on this week so I can drive to the Back to the 80's show in Burnsville, MN - worth the trip if anyone is interested. June 10th

Looks like the shocks you recommend will hopefully get installed this week.

The electroluminescent will remain a pending project  ;)

Don Dulkoski