News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1969 Cadillac DeVille Project

Started by R Simone, August 07, 2023, 08:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Simone

Yeah, "Pouring the coals" to her right away definitely didn't feel right, but it's what I was told by the machine shop as well as many other articles online include this one by Summit:

How do I break in my flat tappet camshaft and lifters?

Truth be told I don't think I ever got up to 3000rpm, but I did vary mostly in the 1500 to 2500rpm range. All told I probably did ~20 minutes of actual run time when accounting for shut downs for the leaks/getting hot.

We decided that 20 minutes was close enough and did what a few others mentions which was a fan in front of the grille and some water spritzing the radiator.  We also left the radiator cap off just in case there was some air trapped inside. We set the timing & idle exact, topped off the transmission fluid and took it on several short test runs around the neighborhood and she seemed to do great.

I called my son and his friend over (Four people in all to get that HUGE hood on!), and tinkered with a few other things then called it a night as it was late.

Next time I'll change the oil and take her for a little longer trip (to the gas station).  I'll probably stay close to home during "Sea Trials"

The Tassie Devil(le)

The reason she got hot, and you had to shut her down, was because you left the Radiator Cap off.   Naughty, naughty.

Doing this stopped your cooling system from keeping the engine cool.   People forget that the pressure radiator cap is there for a reason.   For each pound of pressure, the boiling point of water rises 2 Degrees.

These engines were designed to run hot.

Consider yourself chastised. ;)  ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

R Simone

Well I've had the old' girl out for her sea trials this past week. The initial overheating seems to have been either timing and/or a little bit of air in the cooling system because she's went ~200 miles now with no issues, including today when it was 90+.

A few minor kinks to work out both being looked at next week.  A small exhaust leak that was there before and I just can't seem to find, but I think it's where the D/S manifold meets the down pipe (manifolds were checked and resurfaced at the machine shop so maybe just the flange isn't mating up right).  A small trans leak when parked overnight - Trans shop sealed it up so hopefully something minor but they said that usually means something up higher.

I now remember that old cars are like old houses.  Lots of character, but always something that needs done!  ;)

James Landi

Looks fabulous... wishing you smooth sailing on calm seas...  James

jwwseville60

Awesome car! A Swan with lipstick. Sexy as hell.

My 10 cents...

Keep the AC factory R12 if you can.
My 1970 wagon's AC saved my life during a horrible freak night thunderstorm with 7 passengers. I had the AC fixed so the windows defogged nicely. I missed a big tree coming down in 50 mph wind by 50 yards at full on braking power.

I have 2 Caddies with R134A conversions done by professionals. They are only good for morning or night. Very weak.

Invest in a 30 lb. can from eBay is my advice.
Find a shop with an older AC evacuator machine too.
Lifetime CLC