News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac deville printed circuit board

Started by Cltmte, September 20, 2023, 06:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cltmte

New to the forum and recently a new owner of a 1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville convertible. The car is in beautiful shape and much has been rebuilt.  There are a few nagging electrical issues.  Currently I am chasing a short and wondering if and how the main connector on the printed circuit board can be removed without removing the instrument panel. Just trying to isolate the short.  I would assume there is a type of clip to hold it in place but it is difficult to see.  Thanks ahead for any assistance.

Mark

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Cltmte on September 20, 2023, 06:51:38 PMNew to the forum and recently a new owner of a 1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville convertible. The car is in beautiful shape and much has been rebuilt.  There are a few nagging electrical issues.  Currently I am chasing a short and wondering if and how the main connector on the printed circuit board can be removed without removing the instrument panel. Just trying to isolate the short.  I would assume there is a type of clip to hold it in place but it is difficult to see.  Thanks ahead for any assistance.

Mark

Already get the "shop" and "body" manuals? They're on eBay and they're crucial to a happy life.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cltmte

Thanks. I have both. I went through the shop manual but now I will check out the body manual.  Thanks for the reply

76Caddy

When I had my '70 I had to change the circuit board and you have to remove the top of the dash to access it. 

Hope this helps.

Tim
Tim Plummer
CLC #18948
1967 Eldorado
1976 Brougham
1976 Seville
2019 XT5
1969 Chevy c/10 pickup
1971 Chevy Impala

bcroe

Quote from: Cltmterecently a new owner of a 1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville convertible. The car is in beautiful shape and much has been rebuilt.  There are a few nagging electrical issues.  Currently I am chasing a short and wondering if and how the main connector on the printed circuit board can be removed without removing the instrument panel. Just trying to isolate the short. Mark

If you have a short, I presume you are blowing a fuse. 
Happened to my 79, in wiring not shown in the manuals. 
My approach is solder a 12V light bulb across a blown
fuse and plug it into the position.  No point blowing
fuse after fuse.  A rear brake light might be about
right here.  With a short the bulb will light brightly,
dim when the short is removed.  Basically just
disconnect anything on that circuit till you see the
bulb change.  Fix any fault, final test is when a
good fuse does not blow.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Cltmte

Thanks. It's the dash light fuse 4amp. I bought a 4 amp circuit breaker to avoid fuse after fuse. I am trying to isolate the short. I think it may be in the harness from the light switch to circuit board or a failed circuit board.  I have had the dash to off and was hoping to test the harness by removing the connector (and meter for a short) and not have to pull it all out. I have already removed all dash lights and fuse keeps blowing.  Already replaced the potentiometer in the light switch. Mine had build up on the contacts and the main spring too which broke when I tried to clean it. I like the light bulb idea, gives real time continuous feedback.  I still would like to remove the connector to the circuit board but can't find the connector "release" mechanism and I don't want to force it.  Thanks for the ideas and I will press onward