News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1966 Cadillac Deville front power window issue

Started by pbaker815, November 05, 2023, 03:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbaker815

I recently bought a 1966 cadillac deville convertible.   The previous owner had done some electrical work over the years including new fuse panels under the dash.   We had it apart recently to cleanup his work.   We currently have everything working in the car but the front windows which worked when I picked the car up.   I beleive something may have been put back together incorrectly and I am trying to figure out the window relay that is under the driver side kick panel.   It had been replaced with a newer style three prong relay.   There is a red white stripe, orange white stripe and pink wire.   I am trying to understand what should be getting power.   The red white seems to be the power.   

More interesting is that the rear windows work fine through the switch.   We have power at the drivers side and passenger side front windows, but they will not go up or down which makes me think the relay is wired incorrectly.   

Anyone shed some light on this?

Thank You!   

cadillactim

If you have power at the window switch front windows then relay should be working. I believe orange is always hot. Smaller wire energizes relay from ignition switch, other big wire is output to the lockout switch.

That being said how is the relay getting grounded? Original relay was grounded through metal case.

Check for broken wires in door hinge area. You can also apply power to each of the wires with the switch separated from the connector. Each motor is controlled by "diagonal pair" of the holes in the connector. One wire to raise, diagonally opposed hole to lower. If these work problem us likely the switch. Just do a continuity test on the switch terminals to test it.

Tim
Tim Groves

D. Mailan

I agree with everything Tim mentioned above.

Something I have encountered before on a '59 Sedan de ville is a grounding issue when the door is closed.

The window had been working perfectly. One day, the passenger window would work when the door was open but not when the door was closed. (yes, even if the courtesy light is on, it may still be that the body of the door isnt grounding since courtesy lights are supplied ground from the door jamb switch) I ran a thick gauged wire from a screw behind the kick panel to a screw on the door. It worked!!

Best of luck with yours. Electrical can be tricky sometimes!

Derick