News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1973 Eldorado Hood Won't Close Flush on One Side

Started by SaltLife97, November 08, 2023, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltLife97

This problem has been driving me nuts. When the hood closes, the driver side front part of the hood sits almost more than 1/4 inch higher than the fender. The other side sits flush. Pushing the hood flush makes it sound like the front latch isn't pulling the left side of the hood down far enough. The book only mentions the adjustment of the hood latch and bumpers up front ensure the hood is flush with the fenders. Driver-side bumper is all the way down and the book doesn't mention adjust thing the hood latch.

TJ Hopland

You can push it down?  If so then what you need to do is adjust/shim that hinge up.  It sounds wacky but that is how it works.  2 of the 3 hinge bolts are in slots.  The one on the firewall is the one that may need some washers or shims. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Definitely a hinge problem.

Could be a hinge pin that is worn.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Skelly

Take it to a good collision shop for their evaluation and repair.  I had a door hinge pin fall out of one of my cars because the pin was improperly secured to the hinge.  I took it to the local collision shop rather than risk damaging the paint or metal.  They replaced the hinge pin.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

SaltLife97

Apologies for the late reply, busy week! I will look at the hinges then and give it a try! Will report back  8)

Steve Lomas

I went through that with a 75 Eldorado and I couldn't get it flush with any amount of adjustment.
It also created a wobble in the hood over 60 mph that shook the whole car.

I noticed though that it lays perfectly flush without the springs on the hinges, so I just left them out..

TJ Hopland

Steve, did you try raising the hinges?  Most people including me at first never tried that because it doesn't seem logical that if the hood is sticking up the fix is raising the hinge.  Lowering them makes it much worse. 

'Everyone' told me it was worn pins so I spent the time and money to get SMS to rebuild mine.  I installed them all the way down because that seemed logical and they were way worse than they were originally.  After that was when I read here to raise them and it worked. Used that trick on several cars since and even with what seem to be worn hinges it still makes em better.

No springs has to make the hood a little heavy?  They weigh enough with the springs helping.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason