News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

'66 Eldorado Power seat relay "fixable"? (update)

Started by Julien Abrahams, November 27, 2023, 11:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

The power seat relay of the '66 Eldorado makes a buzzing sound and the seat does not operate. I checked the seat transmission and it is all good. I also verified that the motor is working in both directions.
So the relay is the culprit. Is there anyway to fix these or is it just a matter of replacing?
Thanks in advance.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Julien Abrahams

So,
After fiddling some more I discovered that the buzzing zound from the relay (instead of clicking) was due to the fact that I was using a battery charger (which I think puts out 5 amps) just does not provide enough juice for the relay to click and the motor to work. So I hooked up a spare battery (I need to get a new battery for this car) and tried again.
Put everything back together and tested it. The seat motor now made a humming sound and was barely moving.
So I removed the cables, motor and transmission one by one to see where it was binding.
It was the transmission. Last time I had the transmission apart I discovered that the input shaft was pretty hard to turn. I fugered that it might be due to the high torque that the motor puts out.
I was wrong. I took the transmission apart again and tapped the shaft with intergral gear out (that drives the main gears in the transmission) and cleaned it. It is made of hard plastic. I cleaned it thoroughly and regreseaed it. Put it back and now it spun without resistance.
Put the transmission back together and then decided it to call it a day. Next week I will put everything back together and I am assuming that it will work as it should.
Before bolting down the seat (which four some reason is only bolted down with 4 bolts in total (I am assuming it should be 8) I will regrease the seat tracks and jacks that tilt the seat.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett