News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1960 air ride question

Started by kkarrer, December 01, 2023, 06:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hello,
      My 1960 Eldorado has developed some issues with the air ride.  At this point, the bags are not the problem.  There's a small leak at the splitter tee located in the rear of the car near the differential.  It has a spring loaded part that is accessed with an Allen wrench.  I've cleaned it and tried tightening, but it still leaks under pressure.  I suspect that it needs a rebuild so I'd like some info on parts if anyone has a contact.  The bigger issue is that the system is now leaking air under pressure somewhere in the intake manifold area of the engine. It is louder when the oil filler cap is removed, so it's coming from that area.  As the system bleeds down the hissing sound stops.  This seems like a check valve of some sort is sticking.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg.Dir.
512-626-7268
kenneth.karreremail addresses not permitted

Roger Zimmermann

Do you know Mastermind  (or Mike Rizzuto)? Have a look here: https://www.mastermindinc.net/index.html
Good luck with the air suspension! This is one of the aspects for which I don't regret having sold my '57 Brougham!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David King (kz78hy)

Ken,

The valve in the back is the pressure relief valve and that is where the excess pressure is dumped.  The belt driven compressor runs all the time, so the excess has to go somewhere.  It would sound like the valve is malfunctioning and dumping at too low a pressure.

As far as the intake, that is mystery.  The only part of the induction system involved with the air suspension is the compressor intake tube which is connected to the carburetor air cleaner.  On your system, the exhausted suspension air is brought back to a Tee which goes into the compressor intake line.

There should not be anything plugged into the intake.

I attached a Serviceman publication which was provided to dealerships to help technicians sort out air ride problems.

It is handy to have available and also for documenting what was correct for the system.

12.2.23 added MPL images.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

kkarrer

Dave and Roger,
    Thanks for the help with this.  I've done some trouble shooting and have come to the conclusion that the leak is in the rings or reed valves of the compressor.  That's the only way that air could get back into the engine.  I've got a reseal kit one the way and I'm going to pull the pump (no fun) and pull the crank and pistons and have a straight shaft machined to replace the old crank shaft and put the pump back together as an "idler."  Then I'll hide an electric air pump on the frame and leave the original pump "dummied up." The fact that the original pump ran all the time and at all engine speeds seems like GM was just asking for trouble on this system.  I think this will be the best compromise and will keep the car as original as possible. I'll let you know how it all works out.  It has to be better than what I've got going on now.
Take care and Merry Christmas!
Ken

V63

Those electric air compressors do take a lot of juice...might need to up the charging system to support it.

kkarrer

Thanks.  I'll speak with the supplier about that.
Ken