News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1930 LaSalle - Correct convertible top material

Started by 35075, May 22, 2024, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone know of a source for Laidlaw Burbank 016 top material? This was the material used up until the early 1930s for Cadillac and LaSalle convertible tops.

Tom Boehm

There is a very informative section of the Haartz cloth company website (www.haartz.com) called "Restorers Guide". Look at these sections:

Look at "burbank" under the glossary section.

Look at "other materials" under the current options section.

Look at "cloth" under the current options section.

Here is a link to the Restorers Guide:https://www.haartz.com/introduction-restorers-guide
1940 Lasalle 50 series

Tom,
Thank you for the reply. I have spoken with Eric Haartz and have a lot of information about the material but I am looking for a source to buy some some. The material has not been produced for many years and the only hope of finding some is if someone has a stash of the old material hidden away. Eric recommended Stayfast but it is of a different thickness and texture than the original Laidlaw Burbank material.

Tom Boehm

You have done some research already. The Haartz site taught me a lot when I was looking for authentic upholstery and roof fabric for my 1940 Lasalle woodie. I'm glad you are trying to find authentic fabric for your car. Sorry I didn't know the answer to your question. Let us know if you find it.

Did you try SMS Auto Fabrics? They might have it but be wary. I have heard many stories of their poor customer service.
1940 Lasalle 50 series

I did speak with SMS and they sent me samples. They have one fabric that is very close but the color is way off. I have the original side curtains in the original wrappers that appear to never have been used. I am trying to match the top material to the side curtains. The picture above is from Eric Haartz's original sample book.