News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Looking for an A6 Comp clutch / DUAL groove pulley coil assembly or rebuilder

Started by cadillacmike68, August 13, 2024, 11:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a clutch / coil assembly with a DUAL groove pulley for my 1968 DeVille Convertible.

Or - someone who can rebuild / resurface the clutch and pulley.

I can still get brand new A8 compressors with a dual groove pulley, but cannot find the dual groove pulley clutch kit anywhere, and I have two compressors that work but the clutch is inoperative. And a new compressor with a dual groove pulley is QUITE privy nowadays.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards, Mike.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
I don't know what you consider pricey, but the clutch assembly with Magnet, pulley with a new bearing, and machined face and the clutch disc itself should sell for something like $75-$80 by themselves.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillacmike68

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364 on August 14, 2024, 11:11:06 PMMike,
I don't know what you consider pricey, but the clutch assembly with Magnet, pulley with a new bearing, and machined face and the clutch disc itself should sell for something like $75-$80 by themselves.
Greg Surfas   

That sounds reasonable, but WHERE can you get them??
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Moody

Try Century Auto AC in Tucson. I buy parts from Bob and he's very knowledgeable about the older stuff.
Moody

Mike if you can't find one pm me and I'll take a look at what I've got here.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Thanks Moody, I'll try them as well.

I have 3 or 4 A6 compressors that I'm about to junk because I can't find a rebuilder.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Mike if you find someone that is interested in the cores please let us know. Back in the day new and rebuilt compressors were so cheap that when a seal started leaking I just put in a new one. They never were interested in getting the cores back. So, like a lot of us I never threw anything away and ended up with something like 25 or 30 (bad seal only) cores. Moving forward to the present after resealing (shaft and shell) a half dozen I am running out of ambition so if you find someone interested in A-6 cores please let us know
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

cadillacmike68

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364 on September 17, 2024, 11:49:46 AMMike if you find someone that is interested in the cores please let us know. Back in the day new and rebuilt compressors were so cheap that when a seal started leaking I just put in a new one. They never were interested in getting the cores back. So, like a lot of us I never threw anything away and ended up with something like 25 or 30 (bad seal only) cores. Moving forward to the present after resealing (shaft and shell) a half dozen I am running out of ambition so if you find someone interested in A-6 cores please let us know
Greg Surfas   

I will but don't hold your brath.

There USED to be a division of Classic Auto Air right here in Tampa, FL that rebuilt A6s and would pay for an original Frigidaire or Harrison core, but when I tried to find them, they had disappeared. I got in touch with the larger operation in Texas, and they told me that the Tampa folks had closed up shod early this year.

Oh well. These guys actually overhauled my 1968 DVC back in 1998 and one time after, and I got parts from them up until a couple years ago. Their master re-builder, a guy named Curtis retired and there went the knowledge.

These compressors are heavy and bulky. The ones that still turn, I'll keep, the the ones that are seized up, I'm going to get rid of - After I get the clutch assemblies off.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike