News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Back to school

Started by Carfreak, August 26, 2024, 03:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carfreak

Hopefully your local high school still offers auto shop and related classes. 

Do you have an accumulation of car magazines? Find out if the school accepts them for students to peruse and learn about our cars. 

I've been collecting car magazines from friends and club members for a long time. Previously the VA would accept them but since COVID now they only want brand new issues. 

Fortunately our high school still gladly accepts magazines. Leftovers and older issues are shared with the HS Art Department for projects. 

Another option to 'recycle' your magazines is to share them at Senior Citizen Centers, nursing homes, etc. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Clewisiii

I hate Dr office waiting rooms. A two year old people magazine. No longer relevant and I had no interest when it was.

But a 20 year old classic car magazine is still mostly accurate if they are talking about a 57 Chevy.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

David Greenburg

I have given back issues of Hemmings publications to area assisted living centers.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

There is a guy in our local CLC club who collects them and brings the magazines to veteran's homes.
No high school around here still has shop class-- What a shame.
Jeff Rose
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Big Fins

Wood shop, metal shop, auto repair courses should be mandated again. I loved all of those classes.

Back in the late 70's, early 80's, I had a lawyer that lived across the street from me. He was a golden spoon child and never did any manual labor. He had his own limo and one day while I was working out in the yard, he came over and asked me if I would put some gas in his car, the driver left it low and he needed to go somewhere. I looked at him like he had 2 heads. He said he didn't know how. I told him to come with and I'll show him. He gave me $20 and his credit card for the gasoline. He didn't want learn.

A man or woman with a trade, will never go hungry. The demand for skilled labor will always be there. Even if it is just being a gas jockey!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

J. Skelly

When I started driving, a gas station attendant pumped the gas into your car.  My local gas station had a young idiot who kept forgetting to put gas caps back on cars.  A middle-aged attendant told me that they had gotten a lot of complaints.  I lost several gallons from my '68 Wildcat, which had the filler tube behind the license plate.  I was happy when I was finally able to do it myself.     
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Clewisiii

Quote from: J. Skelly on August 28, 2024, 08:58:44 AMWhen I started driving, a gas station attendant pumped the gas into your car.  My local gas station had a young idiot who kept forgetting to put gas caps back on cars.  A middle-aged attendant told me that they had gotten a lot of complaints.  I lost several gallons from my '68 Wildcat, which had the filler tube behind the license plate.  I was happy when I was finally able to do it myself.     
I had an oil change place forget to put my dipstick back in my 94 deville when I noticed I went back to talk to them about it. They claimed they put it back. It is 3 ft long it is not like it falls out.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

59-in-pieces

Not quite on point about schools, but more to the gas filling detour.

Years ago, before we sold our second home in Washington State, we would drive up and need gas.
Thinking nothing of it, I jumped out in front of the pump and started to pump my own gas.
The attendant came running out shouting - NO! NO! stop, you cant do that.
Do what, I asked.
This is Oregon and we pump your gas for you, it's the law and my job.
Didn't do that again.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Big Fins

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on August 28, 2024, 12:12:00 PMNot quite on point about schools, but more to the gas filling detour.

Years ago, before we sold our second home in Washington State, we would drive up and need gas.
Thinking nothing of it, I jumped out in front of the pump and started to pump my own gas.
The attendant came running out shouting - NO! NO! stop, you cant do that.
Do what, I asked.
This is Oregon and we pump your gas for you, it's the law and my job.
Didn't do that again.

Have fun,
Steve B.

It was the same all over the country when I first started driving a tractor-trailer. You pulled up to the pumps, the fuel jockey would fuel your truck, park it and lock it up for you while you went inside. How times have changed. For the worse it seems.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Carfreak

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on August 28, 2024, 12:12:00 PMThis is Oregon and we pump your gas for you, it's the law and my job.
Didn't do that again.

Does New Jersey still have a similar law? If so, they are probably the last remaining holdout.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Big Fins

Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

tcom2027

Quote from: Big Fins on August 28, 2024, 12:29:28 PMIt was the same all over the country when I first started driving a tractor-trailer. You pulled up to the pumps, the fuel jockey would fuel your truck, park it and lock it up for you while you went inside. How times have changed. For the worse it seems.

Yep, long before the TSA's, Loves, and Pilot. If you drove in the eleven western states (and east to Chicago) you probably remember Bingo Fuel along with the Skelly Truck stops and the 76's.Food at the Skellys  and 76s' was good. One or two had pump jockeys, very welcome at night in the winter in Kadoka, SD or Havre, Montana in winter.

Grab a footlong hot dog at the Bingo eat it, and the indigestion would keep you awake for an extra hour, all legally logged of course. I go back far enough to remember when the Bingo Fuel stops were trailer houses on the prairies with four or six pumps. Self service. Delightful in the winter in South Dakota and Wyoming with blowing snow and thirty degrees below no temperature at all. I believe Bingo morphed into Pilot. Ahhhhh....A time it was, a time it was.

tony

Big Fins

Quote from: tcom2027 on August 28, 2024, 02:47:46 PMYep, long before the TSA's, Loves, and Pilot. If you drove in the eleven western states (and east to Chicago) you probably remember Bingo Fuel along with the Skelly Truck stops and the 76's.Food at the Skellys  and 76s' was good. One or two had pump jockeys, very welcome at night in the winter in Kadoka, SD or Havre, Montana in winter.

Grab a footlong hot dog at the Bingo eat it, and the indigestion would keep you awake for an extra hour, all legally logged of course. I go back far enough to remember when the Bingo Fuel stops were trailer houses on the prairies with four or six pumps. Self service. Delightful in the winter in South Dakota and Wyoming with blowing snow and thirty degrees below no temperature at all. I believe Bingo morphed into Pilot. Ahhhhh....A time it was, a time it was.

tony

I was always local as a fuel hauler. I did maybe 2 1/2 years on the road and that was in the 90's after 1st retirement. My idea of winter is cruising my Cadillac with the top down and a windbreaker on.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

tcom2027

So, you were a  tanker yanker. Definitely a gotta pay attention job. In the mid seventies I hauled powdered milk products from to Wisconsin, to California, Washington and Oregon. Produce from California to Wisconsin and  Illinois,  occasionally Thunder Bay Ontario along with Winnipeg, Manitoba. Five years.

Good news, I didn't have to worry about missing a step unloading and have a load of broccoli blow up.

Enjoy the drive.

tony

Big Fins

I'm lazy. I'm not fingerprinting anything in a trailer. Hook up a pair of 4" hoses and let gravity remove 52k of my back.  ;D
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

tcom2027

Only the produce. Rock sand ad gravel, raise the bed, wait a few seconds, go back and get another one.

Good advice in your PM.