News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Needing paint advice for 70 Vert project

Started by Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225, August 30, 2024, 11:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Hello All,
I am at that common crossroads that everyone has been to. After millions of hours of body work the car is ready for paint.. Now what color ? During the restoration on my 70 vert I have always planned to go back to the original color # 96 Nottingham Green Firemist Poly. The color is nice and I am kind of a purist but man is it GREEN. I don't have any problems with Green cars but wow is #96 Green ! Guess its a Love it or Hate it thing. I am back and forth. My question is .. I am looking for a reputable auto Paint supplier that could mix any 70 Cad paint code in Acrylic Enamel Single Stage. The reason for SS paint is that I plan to shoot the car myself at my home shop. Any help would appreciated.   Thanks,  Bill     
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I felt the same about green but after owning a Kensington Green '59 for a while, it's grown on me. The other surprise was the overwhelmingly positive comments the car's color has gotten which I had not expected. Green especially seems to have become appreciated lately since the color has all but vanished on the new car scene. In my view, colors that personify the era well tend to be favored with collectors, as well as restorations that conform to the car as originally built (according to the body tag).

Retaining the original color would also spare additional work from having to paint the inside of the decklid and possibly other hard-to-get-at areas as well as better coordinating with the original interior color combination.

Nottingham Green Firemist is similar to '59 Kensington Green and that's the route I would recommend, especially if resale value is any consideration.

My two cents.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Thanks for the input Eric. Your comments are in some cases the exact mirror of what's been going through my mind. I agree with your point that the Nottingham Green is a direct reminder of the crazy out of the norm colors that Cadillac offered in the 70's and would certainly be a conversation piece at any car show. I have attached a picture of a car ( Not Mine) that I assume is in # 96 Nottingham Green Firemist. This has been my inspiration. My car is in the same color combo of the DeVille featured in 1970 Cadillac brochure. Nottingham Green w/White rag top , green carpet and dash pad with White Sierra grain leather interior. Now you did it .... I am back wanting to stay original.         
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;

Previous Caddies ;

1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 30, 2024, 12:06:36 PMI felt the same about green but after owning a Kensington Green '59 for a while, it's grown on me. The other surprise was the overwhelmingly positive comments the car's color has gotten which I had not expected. Green especially seems to have become appreciated lately since the color has all but vanished on the new car scene. In my view, colors that personify the era well tend to be favored with collectors, as well as restorations that conform to the car as originally built (according to the body tag).

Retaining the original color would also spare additional work from having to paint the inside of the decklid and possibly other hard-to-get-at areas as well as better coordinating with the original interior color combination.

Nottingham Green Firemist is similar to '59 Kensington Green and that's the route I would recommend, especially if resale value is any consideration.

My two cents.

Hi Eric, I found this link on this forum .. thought you might enjoy.. Oh and I'm back to lovin Green again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbqCtselqn4&feature=youtu.be

Current Labors of LOVE;

Previous Caddies ;

1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225 on August 30, 2024, 02:47:01 PMHi Eric, I found this link on this forum .. thought you might enjoy.. Oh and I'm back to lovin Green again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbqCtselqn4&feature=youtu.be

That's the very car I own now. I purchased it from George Hashem (who purchased it in 2014 at my behest) and it arrived exactly one week before Thanksgiving 2020. The car has an interesting history. In sunlight, the color is nowhere near as dark as it appears in the video. Nottingham is a bit lighter/brighter.

Best of luck with the refinish. I doubt you'll regret the decision.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Oh Wow !  That is an incredible car and I love the color !

Current Labors of LOVE;

Previous Caddies ;

1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't know if this helps, but my '72 Eldorado Convertible is No. 94, Firemist Green.

Pictured is when I first saw the car in 2008.

Bruce.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon