News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

'76 Eldorado Hubcaps

Started by joeinbcs, September 11, 2024, 09:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

I just bought a set of NOS hubcaps for a '76 Eldorado convertible I'm buying that has the wrong caps.  The caps I bought are white, so I need to make them black.  When they arrived, the white material was lifting around the edges, revealing a beautiful, shiny surface beneath.
I'm thinking about trying to remove the all of the white, but not sure how to proceed.  If I damage the polished SS it will kind of defeat the purpose.  As I plan for them to be black eventually, I guess this isn't a huge deal.  But, I'd like to see what they look like without the white material first. Does anyone know how these were done?  Is it some kind of insert that was painted by at the factory than attached to the cap?  If this is the case, does anyone know if replacement inserts are available anywhere?  Thanks for any ideas, Joe
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

J. Skelly

Joe,

From what I've read on this forum, the inserts for the wheel covers were made in all of the factory colors.  I'm guessing it was a peel-and-stick process, but some expert will chime in.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

In 1976 the covers were painted. In 1977, Cadillac began using "Butyrate" inserts in all body colors, while in 1976, the colors were limited to black (standard), white (Bicentennial convertible), plus in the four other colors used on new 1976 Eldorado Custom Biarritz. As far as I can tell, the factory didn't use primer or any special prep work before painting resulting in adhesion issues. The new Butyrate inserts solved this problem.

Other than that I couldn't say whether the centers had the brushed finish like the 1975 Eldorado cover or if they were smooth.   

Also worth noting- the 77/78 covers (w/colored insert) did not receive color in the outer ring. Only the '76 (painted) covers were colored in this area.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Fins

I was given a half dozen of the Eldorado caps of various years. They all had a body colored appliques on the center of the cap with the outer ring being bare stainless steel. After removing the applique, it took forever to remove the adhesive from the cap.

I did get it and worked on a few of them, picking the best ones to paint black. Even using an adhesion primer, it's difficult to make anything stick really well and then getting the ultra gloss shine to them. I had pictures of the one I did to replace one that passed me into the I-285 median and was never found and it turned out good. If you hit it with a pressure washer, I'm sure the paint and primer would peel right off.

I had pictures somewhere, but most likely deleted them. Taping and cutting the tape is tricky, but can be done as long as you have a steady hand. 
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

smokuspollutus

Have you tried a vinyl wrap place? That would probably get you a high gloss black center that will stay bonded to the hubcap.

Big Fins

Quote from: smokuspollutus on September 11, 2024, 01:35:02 PMHave you tried a vinyl wrap place? That would probably get you a high gloss black center that will stay bonded to the hubcap.

Honestly? No. But that's a great idea. I need to pick out a better fitting cap before I do that. The one I'm using doesn't fully seat all the way around the rim. Like it was made for a different year rim. Supposedly, all Eldorado rims from 67-78 are the same. I don't know for sure.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Big Fins on September 11, 2024, 01:27:46 PMI was given a half dozen of the Eldorado caps of various years. They all had a body colored appliques on the center of the cap with the outer ring being bare stainless steel.

The only possible years for the covers you describe are 1977 & 1978.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Fins

This one just doesn't fit flush to the lip all the way around. Almost like it's bottoming out against the wheel itself. I'll test fit any other before doing that again.

Damned potholes. That's what caused the first loss.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

I have had them not want to go on certain rims too but they fit fine on others and other caps fit all the wheels fine.  The little tabs can get kinda beat up from the wheel weights over time and the weights in different positions but that doesn't prevent them from seating they just don't grip as well.

Many years ago I had taken an assortment of those later caps that all had color issues to a good body shop that was known for smaller oddball projects and they basically said there was nothing they could do.  I don't remember if any of them were paint, my guess is they were that other style. This was before vinyl wraps were a thing so that's an interesting idea. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

Some of the caps have blank sections. Areas that don't have the tangs for gripping the wheel lip. Other have the tangs all the way around. I use the CAX weights, so that really isn't an issue and I an always bending the tangs back out after a few removals or seeing a cap that fits a little loosely. I'll grab a coupla pix tomorrow if I remember.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

I forgot about the gaps, that seemed to be a thing on the later colored caps.  I remember thinking someone had cut them for weight clearance but it looked like a factory edge so I have no idea why they did it. The caps I had (or maybe still have somewhere) were maroon so that would have to be 77/78.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Fins

That just may be the answer to the problem.

Let me add that to my wish list of things to do whenever the honey do list gets a little thin. Yeah, sure!
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille