News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1929 La Salle Horn Issue

Started by NH LaSalle, Today at 02:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH LaSalle

During my restoration of my `29 La Salle, the horn was refurbished and adjusted by the late Bill Randall at the Horn Shop.  It worked fine on the bench.  As the restoration progressed, it was placed on the car and the new wiring harness was installed per the original wiring diagram.  In testing it, the horn didn't work.  It just emitted barely audible clicks when the button was pressed.  In trouble shooting this, I ran a jumper wire directly from the battery to the horn and it subsequently worked fine.  That is until this past week when it abruptly stopped working, again just producing barely audible clicks.  There is 6.2 volts at the horn. 

Any thoughts on how to address this?  And does anyone have information on someone who has the experience working on these, should it come to that?

Cadman-iac

I've had the same experience with another vehicle. I had cleaned and painted everything before reassembly and found out when I hit the horn button the horn beeped one little time and quit. Horn was fine before, and I only painted it, but apparently the paint was enough to to cause a weak connection, even though I tightened the mounting bolt with the serrated washer head that you would think would cut through the paint. I had to scrape the paint away where they mounted so it would work.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your car.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Remember,  no matter where you go, there you are.