News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

‘84 Eldorado Convertible Squeals when Top is engaged

Started by GratefulDad, October 12, 2024, 07:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GratefulDad

1984 Eldorado Convertible squeals when I put the top up and down. Probably something with the alternator? Any ideas?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Could be the fan belt is loose, and the squealing being caused by the power drain on the top motor, creating the alternator to work overtime, and the drive belt slipping.

If this is so, then try tightening the belt tension.

You are operating the top with the engine running?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

smokuspollutus

James Landi

Your convertible is equipped with a window relay that engages ALL of the high amperage load window motors to cycle down, as well as the hydraulic convertible top pump--- a MIGHTY large power drain on your battery, alternator, and belts. As mentioned above, a loose belt will cause a squeal, HOWEVER, in addition, an OLD and failing battery and corroded battery cables will NOT do their part regarding the heavy current draw during the down window and top down cycle, and thus but much of the amperage load on your suffering alternator. Check the purchase date, have your battery load tested, check the battery connection cable ends and, yes, tighten the belt if it's loose.

GratefulDad

GratefulDad

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 12, 2024, 08:24:56 PMCould be the fan belt is loose, and the squealing being caused by the power drain on the top motor, creating the alternator to work overtime, and the drive belt slipping.

If this is so, then try tightening the belt tension.

You are operating the top with the engine running?

Yes I am

The Tassie Devil(le)

If it turns out to be the slipping belt, then you also need to remove the belt, clean up both sides of the "V", to remove any "polished" areas, plus clean the sides of the pullies.

Plus, if the belt has been rubbing the bottom of the "V", then you will need a new belt, as the belt is only supposed to be riding up on the sides of said "V".   This is where it gets its friction from.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Its been a while since I had to mess with belts on longitudinal 4100 but I seem to recall they basically used the same layout as the previous engines?  If that is the case then the alternator is driven with its own belt off the water pump and tension comes from the alternator.  The water pump is driven by the crank and AIR (smog) pump and tension comes from the smog pump.  This means the alternator belt could be in good condition and tension and the smog belt is the one that has issues and is slipping under this extreme load.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason