News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

vehicle storage question

Started by Jeff Hansen, June 06, 2005, 09:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Hansen

I have my 42 limo back from the upholstery shop!

Now a question on vehicle storage.  Does anyone know what the optimum humidity level should be when storing a vehicle?  I have a fairly well insulated 2.5 car garage and have a small Sears dehumidifier to do the dehumidification.  After a humid, 90 degree day today, the current weather in the garage is 76 degrees F and 52percent humidity.  

I live in the mid-Atlantic area of the US (Delaware) where we have high levels of humidity in the summer.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Porter 21919

Jeff,

Maybe not an informed experienced answer here but seems to me dry is good, drier the better.

Moisture will just create mold and mildew, Im hard pressed to see how too dry would be bad for the car. Other than UV rays I have never heard of any damage to a car from being it too dry of an environment, let alone in an east coast garage.

HTH,

Porter

JIM CLC # 15000

06-06-05
JEFF, in my part of the country, if you leave a "hoe" laying on the ground and come back in a week or so, you will find that it has started to spout roots.
But for your information, try http://www.qualitylivingsite.com TARGET=_blank>www.qualitylivingsite.com or 1-800-438-1524, if you prefer to talk to a person.
Also, if there is a "camper world" store near you, they sell units that will sosk-up the moister in the air, best bet is to rig up a fan to air out your car. Seems like humidity in the mid-to upper thirtys is where you want it, with air-flow
To continue my first paragraph, there are people that have startered business to trim the "webs" from between the toes of over-weight people that cant bend-over to trim their own.
Good Luck, Jim

Gerald

I´ve read a story about rust prevention in an old car magazine and it suggested that humidity in the storage area should not go above 60percent - below that you are pretty safe. They wrote that 50 percent is ideal as its not so hard on leather and the interior - if its too dry its not good either...

all the best,
Gerald