News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Cadillac Radio Reproduction

Started by Bonnevillains, October 13, 2006, 03:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonnevillains

Does any one make a solid state 12v radio that fits early 50s Cadillacs that looks original?

Geoff Newcombe #4719

There are places that will take YOUR 6 volt radio and 12 volt it.  I have to assume it will get new guts.  Your radio can also be converted to AM/FM with no difference in the dial or face, you just have to learn where your FM stations are on the AM dial, and no I am not talking about an FM converter.

One fellow that does this is:
Classic Auto Radio Service
Dave Frazee
23502 Shelby Ave.
Port Charlotte, FL  33954
941-629-3759
800-880-1409

I saw a few of the radios he had done at the Zephyrhills, FL car show and was amazed at what he could do, the radios looked completely stock.  Let us know if you go this route and how it works out.

Russ Hobden #1235

JC Whitney has 5 models of solid state radios meant to replace originals ranging in price from $179 to $599.  Theyre on page 155 of their laatest cataloge.  Or go to http://www.jcwhitney.com. TARGET=_blank>www.jcwhitney.com.  Or see the custom automotive sound stores listed in the Yellow Pages under Auto Radios and Stereo Sytems.
Russ Hobden #1235

Doug Houston

Thyere are quite a few conversion shops for car radios. Some dont gut the case, but many do. So, remember one thing: once the case is gutted, the set is destroyed forever. There is no support for the circuit boards that the shops install, so if something goes wrong, youll probably have to pay the long price for a whole new inatallation, Theyll give you a year or so warranty, but except for the warmer states, one years use can mean turining it on probably 4 or 5 times. What if it doesnt work the following spring?

Go ahead and have it done, because you will, anyway. I have yet to be convinced that its a good idea.