News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Any help confirming Jackie Kennedy's Cadillac

Started by Mike Yesensky, June 08, 2007, 11:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Yesensky

Does anyone know a way to get the records from the Department of motor vehicles in New York on a 1979 Cadillac? Apparently just calling and asking is a violation of someone’s privacy or a terrorist plot (depending on who you talk to at the DMV)
   I recently acquired a 1979 Coupe Deville with 60K actual miles. The owners warranty card has the original owner as Jackie Kennedy. I would very much like to verify if she was in fact the original owner. I tried contacting the dealer who sold the car new and they have no records back that far. The address given on the card is a private woman’s club in New York. They are reluctant to return my calls or reveal the names of their members present or past.  I don’t think it would be out of character for a high profile person like Jackie Kennedy to have her mail sent to a private club but this seems to be a dead end now.  I would appreciate any other ideas on how to go about verifying this. I don't necessarily believe it was her personal car, its oddly lacking options, but perhaps something for the household. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  Mike

Davidinhartford

I guess you could try calling the Historical Society in Great Neck, NY and ask.

If she lived there in 1979, some gossipy society matron at the Historical Society would know!

35-709

It says "Jacqueline D. Kennedy", Not Jacqueline B. Kennedy!  Here in my town of Vero Beach, Florida we have a Jackie Kennedy listed in the current phone book.  I'll bet there are many Jacqueline (or Jackie) Kennedys listed in the New York City phone book.  For a number of reasons (other than the fact that Jacqueline D. is not correct) I would seriously doubt that the real Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis would ever have owned that car anyway, a low optioned coupe, or had any other car in her own name.  That car was most certainly owned by another "Jackie Kennedy".     
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Mike Yesensky

In the research I have done so far I have found that Jackie Kennedy  used a number of different names and middle initials. She was born Jacqueline Lee Bouvier,  and used both L, B, & O as a middle initial as well as a couple of other middle initials. Also Both Lee and B could have been misunderstood as D by an overly excited car sales person when filling out the paperwork. I don't believe this one thing definitively excludes this document. I think that the odds are low that two Jacqueline Kennedys both lived in New York Metro area and were both of the social position to belong to a private club of that status. (certainly its possible but I am not willing to give up yet)   As to whether she would have owned anything like this is also a good question. I have found that she owned a 1974 BMW which wouldn’t have been all that much of a status symbol in 1974. Actually old money would have bought something exactly like that (remember that truly well healed families bought the $200 cheaper Bentley rather than the Rolls Royce because it was considered less showy) It also entirely possible that this was not a personal car but for the household or some other purpose (maybe John needed something to drive when in town). Its also possible that there could be a welfare mother in Harlem that is named Jacqueline Kennedy  who won a few dollars in the lottery bought this car and she just took incredible care of the it and never drove it in bad weather and kept it garaged.
  Anyway I would like to know for sure and check the Department of motor Vehicle records or any other Kennedy records.
Thanks for any help I can get
  Mike

35-709

Sorry, I can't buy into any of that relative to this car, but, knock yourself out!  Try putting the address shown on that Warranty Information Card in Google Maps, click on Hybrid and bring it in as close as it will come and you will see the house where this "Jackie" lives/lived.  I still say there is no way she would have a car in her name, her lawyers would nix that immediately, I would think, just for the  liability factor alone.
But, stranger things have happened ---- I guess.  Good luck!
;D

Mike Yesensky

I already did that, its a rather large estate

35-709

94 Old Mill Road, Great Neck, NY  11023  looks to be an older home on a somewhat overgrown 1/4 acre lot (say 1/2 acre to be generous) that backs up to a commercial building of some kind. 
:) 

Davidinhartford

Yeah, I can't picture Jackie O in a Cadillac Coupe DeVille.     She was not a showy person by then and would have prefered a low profile car to get around.    And that is if she drove at all!     Most NY socialites didn't own car, especially if they lived in the City.

Rich S

When Jackie Kennedy Onasis died, the vehicle auctioned as her personal vehicle was a low mileage 1994 "3-Series" BMW sedan in Boston Green (Emerald Green) with a Tan Leather Interior and a Sunroof. The last Cadillac that I ever read mentioned as her personal vehicle was a 1970 DeVille Convertible, with modifications by Derham (I think that information is in the Database). It was reportedly acquired by a personal friend, when she got a new vehicle. I have often wondered what that particular Cadillac looked like, and what exactly were the modifications. It was reportedly one of the last cars modified by Derham.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Mike Yesensky

I would like to see any pictures of that 70 Deville by Derham, that sounds like an interesting car. attached is a picture of the house in Great Neck that the car was registerd to.

veesixteen

Quote from: Mike Yesensky on June 11, 2007, 12:35:22 AM
I would like to see any pictures of that 70 Deville by Derham, that sounds like an interesting car. attached is a picture of the house in Great Neck that the car was registerd to.

In the Club's "Database" there's a rear view of a Derham-modified limousine from 1972.  Mentioned also is a Derham-modified 1970 Eldorado (no picture). I tend to agree that, for security reasons, Jackie O. would never have had a car registered in her own name.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Steven Keylon

The Kennedy family was more of a Ford Family.  In addition to several Lincolns attributed as personal cars of John F. and Jackie Kennedy (even the infamous open limousine was a Lincoln, rather than a Cadillac), I've also seen Mercuries.  Starting in the 1970's, Jackie was know to drive BMW's.  

So, it's doubtful she would have bought this Cadillac for her own personal use, if she did buy it.  I think it's doubtful that the seller would have gotten the middle initial wrong too, but it's probably worth some more research...

Mike Yesensky

Thanks Steve. She also used a Chrysler Giha limo for a time. I agree it is somewhat doubtful that she bought this car for her personal use. In any event I just hoped that someone could help with the research, a sugestion as to how the acess Motor Vehicle records etc. 

Davidinhartford

I spoke to a fellow car collector who is also a Kennedy fan and he said that Jackie used "Onassis" not Kennedy then.     Plus he said they didn't have property in Great neck. 

No doubt it was another socialite who loved the attention she got with the similar name.    Either way, it is still a nice car!

Dennis DiNorcia #19071

There is a DMV form you can fill out and send to the NY DMV to do a title search. I believe the cost is $15.00 (It may have gone up now) but the catch is it will only do a search of that state. If the car ever left the state the tracing will stop. Hope this will help you.

william king

Matt427

Quote from: Steven Keylon on June 12, 2007, 04:53:23 PM
The Kennedy family was more of a Ford Family.

But Uncle Teddy prefers Oldsmobiles! ;)