News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

I had need to pull my bumper out today. This has been sitting on a shelf for years.

Pulling off all the brackets that will go for powder coating.

Then the hardware that can be saved will be plated. IMG_20230909_193640474.jpgIMG_20230909_193646337.jpgIMG_20230909_193924335.jpgIMG_20230909_193706572.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

I looked up McVeys. They have the high pressure line on their website. Looks much better then Caddy Daddy. They don't show the low pressure side. But I know they do not list everything online. I will need to call them.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Roger Zimmermann

If some of your rear lenses are no more good, I have some NOS.

1961 lens.JPGback-up lens - Copy.JPGTail lamp lens.JPG
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

Roger, that would all depend on price. The NOS lense price has gotten to a point that I am happy with reproduction.  This Fleetwood will never be valuable so I can only put money where it is important. 

Clewisiii

I got my shorter exhaust studs today so I am test fitting the cross over pipe.  There is no gaskets or sealant in here yet.
IMG_20230910_182552967.jpg

First I must say that I am happily surprised with how well the ends matched up to the manifolds. I was expecting some fighting or bending. Just due to any warp from the welding.

IMG_20230910_181709012.jpgIMG_20230910_182340880.jpg

But I do have one concern. The pipe comes very close. Nearly touching a tie rod. This might move when everything is tightened up. And I have not adjusted the steering yet anyway. I will need to turn the wheels side to side to see what happens. IMG_20230910_182533630.jpg

Clewisiii

One question. Gasket sealant on exhaust gaskets.  I have it. But it is going to be very difficult working alone to line up and install all this stuff with sealant between the layers.

I don't mind the fight since it will only be done once. But how important is sealant on these gaskets especially around the exhaust bypass spacer.

Clewisiii

Man this stuff just lays right in place.  I need to reach out to Grant again to check on the exhaust hangers.

IMG_20230910_190402449.jpgIMG_20230910_190408358.jpgIMG_20230910_190503360.jpg

cadman59

Very nice! 
Pay attention to the clearance between exhaust pipe and emergency brake lever also. 

At my '59 that lever is sometimes rattling against the exhaust pipe. Unfortunately I have been unable to correct this; once the pipe clamps have been tightened it seems impossible to move or turn the pipes because they have been cramped by the clamps.

But I also must say your exhaust fits far better than mine did.
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Clewisiii

Can anyone tell me about the electrical connection for the front lower lights.

Can this wiring come off?
Does the wire stay connected to the housing and a plug on the other end?

Trying to figure out how far I can go cleaning these up.

IMG_20230911_172119349.jpgIMG_20230911_172125372.jpgIMG_20230911_172133300.jpg

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks like the lamp holder is secured to the housing via a crimping of the inside ring.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring can be pushed through the base to allow checking and cleaning, but carefully pulling back on the rubber shield, you might be able to see more.   I notice that there is a tiny depression of the surround, indicating to me that the insulated part is not removeable.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on September 11, 2023, 07:22:41 PMLooks like the lamp holder is secured to the housing via a crimping of the inside ring.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring can be pushed through the base to allow checking and cleaning, but carefully pulling back on the rubber shield, you might be able to see more.   I notice that there is a tiny depression of the surround, indicating to me that the insulated part is not removeable.

Bruce. >:D

Thank You Tassie. I have 4 of these but they all have very dry wiring.

Clewisiii

Well the exhaust is all suspended. Still not clamped or installed to manifolds yet.

Three of those original hangers actually hold the pipes off to the side so I cannot suspend directly from the upper mounts.

But my floor looks nicer.

I need to call the shop to ask about my driveshaft that is being rebuilt. But I cannot pay for it until Friday so I am letting it go for now. I will take the rear end to the shop to have it looked over at the beginning of October.
 IMG_20230911_183028082.jpgHanger 1.jpg

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Clewisiii on September 10, 2023, 06:30:03 PMRoger, that would all depend on price. The NOS lense price has gotten to a point that I am happy with reproduction.  This Fleetwood will never be valuable so I can only put money where it is important. 
I'll take contact with you when I'm back home. I have those lenses for such a long time that I'm ready to make a good offer for you.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Clewisiii

My Car Show tools and supplies boxes will be vintage luggage I can keep in the trunk.

This box will be electrical.
Coil
Condensers
Wire repair tools.
IMG_20230912_190708128.jpg

I have another make up case for
Fuel Pump
Gaskets
Belts
Fuses
Small fluids.

Then I have bigger luggage for show set up supplies

Now that things are going together I am happy to I be putting my extras away in their boxes.

Cadman-iac

I like that idea. Very unique actually. Disguise your parts and tools. Cool!!
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Clewisiii

Well gee. I need to buy a battery soon.   I am so excited with how close a running engine and finished chassis and suspension is.   

I have identified a couple of points I am going to address on the body before I put it back on the frame. And a fresh coat of paint on underbody and paint the firewall.

The body could be on a running frame by spring. Then it is saving money for paint. Unfortunately my new job does not have bonuses so I cannot rely on helpful lump sums of cash to add to the painting budget.

Clewisiii

I have a new fan clutch. So I can I stall the radiator this weekend.
IMG_20230915_173647511.jpg
I contacted McVeys. They sell a perfect high pressure power steering hose. They only sell low pressure by the IMG_20230915_185643359.jpgfoot no fittings. They sell clamps for $12 a piece that are almost correct except hex head nut instead of plain flat head. I am going to buy the new and include my original in the next batch of parts to plate.

I may reuse this low pressure nipple. But it is a little rusty. I may have a new one made locally but they would need to install the raised interference edge.

Clewisiii

After watching the Holub project on YouTube and the difficulty he has had priming his 61 engine, I decided to jump in and make a rod to prime my engine.
IMG_20230915_193732028.jpgIMG_20230915_193806706.jpg
But I started with copper and slightly to large. I could flatten it enough to work at first. But it would eventually stretch and spin. So tomorrow I am going to go to the hardware store and find a more appropriately sized pipe to fit to the oil pump drive shaft.

Clewisiii

What a tedious install. Only about a 1/2 turn per bolt at a time.

IMG_20230915_203240888.jpgIMG_20230915_203228253.jpgIMG_20230915_203234549.jpg

Clewisiii

I need to build a fixture to hold this radiator firmly in the proper position.

IMG_20230915_204222169.jpgIMG_20230915_204229718.jpgIMG_20230915_204254381.jpg