News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

A V16 with glasspacks starting up VIDEO

Started by Tom Magdaleno, October 28, 2009, 10:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Magdaleno

A friend of mine told me he had just got his car running again after sitting for quite a while.  I asked him if he could start it up for me since I have never heard it before.  I just uploaded it and it is the best V16 engine sound vid on Youtube.  This car is a 1930 with a later engine, 1934.  Someone had customized it in the 50's and added a boat tail.   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgKD-TucL4
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

veesixteen

This car too is featured in the Cadillac Database, both in the "Dream Cars" section for 1928-29 and in the V-16 Survivors section for 1934-1937.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Jim Thompson

1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Sorry guys but I didn't like it. Sounded like there were no tail pipes and lots of resonance. Also, he didn't rev it. Why not? While I'm at it, IMHO, the rear spare spoils the effect of the boat tail. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Otto Skorzeny

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on October 29, 2009, 06:58:04 PM
the rear spare spoiles the effect of the boat tail

I thought the same thing. I've never seen a boat tail Packard or anything else with a rear spare - always sidemounts. It does defeat the purpose of building a body that looks like a boat.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

David King (kz78hy)

I'm with Bob.

I was expecting a little action with the throttle plate and to hear, or not hear, as these engines were supposed to do.

The custom rework is also not to my liking, but so what.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Doug Houston

"Custom" is in the eyes of the "customizer", and not always in the eyes of the beholder.  Since this was a video to be downloaded, and I'm on dial-up, I didn't want to tie up my computer for half an hour, just to hear a car that alreday has dual exhausts, but no mufflers.

Sort of interesting. The sight of a Cadillac V-16 is not a common one. Many people in this country will; never see one, and many others don't believe that there ever was one. But, the very ownership of such a vehicle is an experience that so few of us can have. I view it as exceptional.

But, of those owners, the very  exceptional nature of the vehicle is still insufficient. The impressiveness of so superlative an artifact needs to be intensified by demonstrating its ability to make greater noise than its owners wanted to hear.

Again, I didn't see or hear the video clip.  Was it done in a trailer park?
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Tom Magdaleno

Gosh, what a bunch of snobs on this forum. 
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck

Pat

"Again, I didn't see or hear the video clip.  Was it done in a trailer park? "

Would you feel more at home if it was done in a trailer park?

Pat

bill henry

I think it sounds great to me. Nothing sounds better to me than 8+ cylinders of uncatalytic converted glasspacked exhaust . I love it.
Bill Henry

Tom Magdaleno

Quote from: bill henry on November 02, 2009, 07:26:29 AM
I think it sounds great to me. Nothing sounds better to me than 8+ cylinders of uncatalytic converted glasspacked exhaust . I love it.

I agree, I am fascinated by the sounds of different engine configurations.  The difference in sound between a straight 8 and a V8, or a Ferrari V8 vs. a Flathead V8.  But a V16 is something completely different, and stock they are whisper quiet, so it is nice to hear what it actually sounds like. 
As far as the styling I agree with most everyone above.  In fact I think the current owner feels the same way.  But if you were to go back in time and slap everyone who customized in bad taste you would have a very sore hand!  Whats done is done, it is what it is and it is still a V16 Cadillac and I can still appreciate it. 
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck

The Tassie Devil(le)

I liked it very much, and the Camera Microphone doesn't do it justice.

I wouldn't mind both those cars in my garage.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   What is a Cadillac site without a few "Snobs"? ;)

PPS.   The V16's I have heard are way too quiet, but when one has so many cylinders, one doesn't have to flaunt it. ;D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

P W Allen CLC# 20193

I enjoyed it. I wish they had opened the hood so we could see the engine. Those V16's were a thing of beauty!
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Stinson

I have a '37 Cad V-12 and purchased a new SS exhaust system having two mufflers that I am about to install. After hearing the tape I think I made a big mistake but I can't just leave $800.00 on the floor. I wish I had invested in a glasspack. When I was in highschool back in '58 I had a '49 Lincoln having a '51 V-8 and ,yep, a glasspack and I loved that sound. It was not loud but the sound was great. I'm putting a lot of money into this restoration and it still will not be close to museum quality. I will bring the car up to my own standard and enjoy it. The next person can take it to the moon with his bankroll if he desires and think about every bolt being "authentic". If that is what he wants to do I'm fine with that too, but I will make a few minor changes that I can and will truly enjoy. At times I have lived in less than a trailer park in my early years. For now I live in a nice house, but I still enjoy the sound of older engines and find nothing wrong with a good muffler system and the wonderful "noise" some of them make.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Response to Tom. Before I make anymore comments, I have a question. Does that car have tail pipes to the rear of the car, or is there just  short pipes coming out of the mufflers? Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Tom Magdaleno

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on November 03, 2009, 12:12:10 PM
Response to Tom. Before I make anymore comments, I have a question. Does that car have tail pipes to the rear of the car, or is there just  short pipes coming out of the mufflers? Thanks, Bob

Bob, I'm not sure where the exhaust exits.  I met the guy through a friend to buy parts for my 38.  He had a 38 V8 convertible that was undergoing a concours restoration.  Unfortunately his garage burned down with the car in it!  The cause was an air compressor motor that turned on in the middle of the night and malfunctioned. 
He had bought a 4-door V8 38 just for the floor boards for the convertible and he sold me some parts off it.  I got the seats, radio, door panels and headlights.  He's a good guy, but I think there is a lesson for those of us with collections, installing a sprinkler system is not that expensive compared to what we spend on our cars.

Stinson, thanks for your comments, I agree.
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck

Rollochrome

Real cool!

Yes I wish the video included some further "testing" of that baby!
O.P. Smith
CLC Member # 25564
--1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertable, red on white leather
--1991 Cadillac Brougham, white on blue leather
--1991 Chevrolet Suburban Regency Custom Conversion 4wd, white w/ graphics on maroon leather
--1979 Corvette resto-mod
--1969 Kaiser Willis Deuce & 1/2
--a handfull of boring current production daily drivers destined to be tin cans

Ty

Hello Bob,
You would be pleased to know that I have installed the complete new SS exhause system, two new SS mufflers and all. Well, it is quiet, sounds good when you get close enough to hear it, everything fits like it was made for the car because it was made by Waldons.........but they are not glasspacks! Ha, ha, but is is okay and when the SS wears out in my next 30 years or so then it will be glasspacks!.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Misfit

Quote from: Tom Magdaleno on November 04, 2009, 01:43:36 PMUnfortunately his garage burned down with the car in it!  The cause was an air compressor motor that turned on in the middle of the night and malfunctioned. 

My wife asked me why I unplugged the compressor and drained it at night. Now I feel good for doing it, and she read the post.

BTW. I'd just about kill to have the beautiful machine in my garage. But I have 2 of my own that keep me more than busy for now.

Fins