News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1968 M&M Cadillac Hearse

Started by metalblessing, March 05, 2018, 01:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Beaird

Wish we had room for one of those.  They'd make a nice 'pup-mobile' to haul our dogs around in.  Not sure they'd like the slick surface back there, though.   :o

While that part of the hood was prone to rust pretty easily, I'd expect that hood lip trim to be the same for any 67-69 deVille/FW/Calais, so that should open up your options. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

metalblessing

Quote from: Gene Beaird on May 02, 2018, 02:20:46 PM
Wish we had room for one of those.  They'd make a nice 'pup-mobile' to haul our dogs around in.  Not sure they'd like the slick surface back there, though.   :o

While that part of the hood was prone to rust pretty easily, I'd expect that hood lip trim to be the same for any 67-69 deVille/FW/Calais, so that should open up your options.

68 only unfortunately. 68 was the first year where it curved down a bit. 67 was straight across, and 69 was a new design so doesnt fit. I will find one eventually
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

WTL

There was a good priced 68 hood lip on eBay a couple years back when I was looking for mine, for a 69. 

Best thing is to take your time.  I was able to acquire a rather rough one before our wedding for $100, most chrome is pitted, but it still brings the look.  I don't want to pay the prices that others want for a good one, but I figure I can wait it out now that I have this. 

It wouldn't shock me if in 10 or so years 3D printing makes stuff like this a little more easy to find.

Highwayman68

Found this on ebay, that is the lowest starting price that you will ever see for one of these. It is not show quality but it is complete and will do until you can find the quality that you are looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-cadillac-hood-chrome-moulding-trim-coupe-deville-sedan-2-4-door/173305349674?hash=item2859cdc62a:g:0aAAAOSw5W5a77cX
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

metalblessing

Quote from: Highwayman68 on May 10, 2018, 08:56:47 AM
Found this on ebay, that is the lowest starting price that you will ever see for one of these. It is not show quality but it is complete and will do until you can find the quality that you are looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-cadillac-hood-chrome-moulding-trim-coupe-deville-sedan-2-4-door/173305349674?hash=item2859cdc62a:g:0aAAAOSw5W5a77cX

Thank you very much for pointing this out! I had slacked on my regular searching, hopefully i am able to get this.

metalblessing

In a few weeks I'm going to try to re-condition the crinkle paint on the top of the car. It was recommended I use a 50/50 mixture of acetone and gloss black rustoleum and roll it over the existing original crinkle paint. This should retain the original texture of the factory crinkle paint and make it look new. Looking foward to the results.

Highwayman68

HOLY CRAP that molding went for $242.50! Were you one of the ones bidding on it?

metalblessing

Quote from: Highwayman68 on May 13, 2018, 10:46:01 PM
HOLY CRAP that molding went for $242.50! Were you one of the ones bidding on it?
Yes I bid up to $72 and didnt check it until this morning

metalblessing

I got it painted Saturday and it does look a bit better, although I did get it a little too thick in places on the top. I did have a major mishap during the painting. Originally I had the paint tray on top of the coach so I wouldnt be lifting a paint soaked roller over the body. Worked fine for awhile until I went to refill the tray and put it back up top. I didnt get it quite high up enough and it slid off the roof and all over the front of my wifes Subaru Impreza, all over the driveway, and also a bit on the body of the hearse.

Thankfully I was able to get it all cleaned off the vehicles without damaging any existing paint. I still need to clean off one of my wife's rims, and the driveway is proving difficult. I poured stripper on the driveway, then an hour later scraped up the goo and hosed it off. Helped a little bit I need to do it several more times.

Aside from all that here are the post-paint pictures:

DeVille68

wow, makes quite a difference!
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

metalblessing

I mentioned this in another thread but I will also put it here:

Over the past weekend a clicking or tapping sound had developed in the engine compartment. Some people had suggested I may have a loose motor mount, so I was focused on that possibility.

Yesterday I was poking around under hood with the car off, trying to make sense of what could be making the sound, when my hand bumped a cable and I heard the click sound. I nudged the cable again a few times and heard the sound. Followed the cable and it was my AC Relay. Previously I had unplugged the AC relay since not only does my AC not work but the connector is melted. Apparently the connector had managed to shimmy its way back onto one of the contacts (the wrong contact) and each time it wiggled it would intermittently make a connection and activate the relay, making a "click" sound.

I made this video in case it helps anyone else in the future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8TZ7du5b-s

metalblessing

I finally ordered myself a shop manual!

Also I need to pick up one of those AC guides from Cadillac Tim soon, I have decided maybe I will fix the AC afterall

metalblessing

Got to take part in my first parade over the weekend at the Collinsville, OK Independence day parade. My wife got these bunting american flags that actually turned out to look real nice in the windows. Then was in the car show at a local fireworks show "Rockets over Rhema"

Also brought my sons toy silverado

Highwayman68

That car probably felt right at home in that parade moving along slooowly

metalblessing

Quote from: Highwayman68 on July 03, 2018, 05:47:48 PM
That car probably felt right at home in that parade moving along slooowly

Yeah, but I was afraid of vaporlock the entire time, but didnt have a problem. I had vaporlocked in highway traffic a week before. But after an oil change it seems I no longer have issues. My oil was pretty dirty (seafoamed it back in Feb)

35-709

Changing the oil is a good thing, but would have nothing to do with vapor lock.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

metalblessing

Quote from: 35-709 on July 05, 2018, 02:29:25 PM
Changing the oil is a good thing, but would have nothing to do with vapor lock.

Wouldnt old, dirty oil increase the operating temperature of the engine? Before I would have slight vaporlocking at long stoplights, and had a 15 minute vaporlock on a congested highway. After my oil change I was able to sit in a 1 hour traffic jam in 95 degree weather without problems.

35-709

I wouldn't think so.  How old and how dirty?  Never heard of changing the oil affecting vapor lock --- maybe if the oil was of too thin a viscosity, but at 75 I haven't seen or heard it all yet so I'm willing to learn.   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 35-709 on July 05, 2018, 07:22:45 PM
I wouldn't think so.  How old and how dirty?  Never heard of changing the oil affecting vapor lock --- maybe if the oil was of too thin a viscosity, but at 75 I haven't seen or heard it all yet so I'm willing to learn.   ;D

I have my oil changes on the Acadia done at Beard Chevrolet, my local mech can't match their prices on Dexos. After the last oil change, and within an hour, I got every warning light/code etc the car was capable of throwing, all timing chains codes. Timing chain was replaced a few years ago. Ran to my mech who said they put in the wrong oil, bring it back. Brought it back, the service manager thought I was nuts. "Change the oil again son, and another filter too." This time I stayed with them as they worked on the car, watched him grab the "10-30" dispenser from the ceiling, etc. They cleared the codes and not a problem since. Oil can do funky things.

Blake your car looked FABULOUS for the parade! You must have been so proud!

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

metalblessing

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on July 06, 2018, 01:20:16 AM
I have my oil changes on the Acadia done at Beard Chevrolet, my local mech can't match their prices on Dexos. After the last oil change, and within an hour, I got every warning light/code etc the car was capable of throwing, all timing chains codes. Timing chain was replaced a few years ago. Ran to my mech who said they put in the wrong oil, bring it back. Brought it back, the service manager thought I was nuts. "Change the oil again son, and another filter too." This time I stayed with them as they worked on the car, watched him grab the "10-30" dispenser from the ceiling, etc. They cleared the codes and not a problem since. Oil can do funky things.

Blake your car looked FABULOUS for the parade! You must have been so proud!

\m/
Laurie

Thanks, its a blast to drive, it certainly gets attention thats for sure.

As for the oil. I had it changed in January, however...I added seafoam to the crankcase, which would have thinned the oil, and also caused it to pull dirt and crap from everywhere, which is why it was solid black and gritty. So I assume the oil being diluted and thinned with seafoam may have been a contributing factor. Now its running great.

Before everytime I started it up and backed out the driveway, putting it in drive and hitting the gas would sometimes stall me. Now it seems to always be ready to go. So glad about that for sure.

Looking forward to July 13th, because it will be "Car Collector appreciation day" which means I have a justification to drive it Tulsa to work again without my wife getting mad about my insane gas usage.