News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1968 M&M Cadillac Hearse

Started by metalblessing, March 05, 2018, 01:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalblessing

I recently bought a 1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor combination Hearse/Ambulance and am currently restoring it, albeit very slowly. I havent gotten very far but at least it runs and drives right now.
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

metalblessing

Hmm, guess I cant post pictures  :-[

metalblessing

First picture when shipped

metalblessing

I guess I can only post 1 picture at a time

metalblessing

In the driveway

metalblessing

I think my others were too big, thats why they failed

WTL

I like the hearse generally. 

Don't know your opinion of it, and it's yours to do as you please, but I've never liked taking a hearse and decking it out in skulls/death stuff. 

Hearses were not meant to be morbid and dark, but rather, soothing, comforting inoffensive and dignified for that last ride.  And undoubtedly, that was the last ride of many fathers, mother, brothers sisters and grandparents.  Veterans, clergy and friends. 

Is it disrespectful to treat that item as a ghoul mobile?  I'm not looking for a debate, I won't even say that it is, but I think, it is possible. 

I think that hearse looks nice enough to be restored as a hearse and not a novelty.  Jmho.

metalblessing

I agree. It came to me with the skull vinyl along the doors, a skull hood ornament that the last owner drilled a hole into the hood for, and these silly skull door locks.

I have already removed the skull hood ornament and the skull stickers. It was the first thing to go. My first priority is to restore the vehicle to as close to a factory appearance as I can. Once that is done I plan on using it as an alternative ministry outreach tool.

But no skulls and stuff, that stuff gets way overdone. Unfortunately alot of these get bought by haunted houses and used as props where they rot away.

harry s

"Hearses were not meant to be morbid and dark, but rather, soothing, comforting inoffensive and dignified for that last ride.  And undoubtedly, that was the last ride of many fathers, mother, brothers sisters and grandparents.  Veterans, clergy and friends."
     I agree with the above. I'm no expert on hearses but have seen many but I don't think I've seen one with the folding, facing seats in the rear compartment. Yours looks like a nice one and will serve a very worthwhile purpose. Good Luck with it,      Harry 
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

metalblessing

Quote from: harry s on March 05, 2018, 04:25:28 PM
"Hearses were not meant to be morbid and dark, but rather, soothing, comforting inoffensive and dignified for that last ride.  And undoubtedly, that was the last ride of many fathers, mother, brothers sisters and grandparents.  Veterans, clergy and friends."
     I agree with the above. I'm no expert on hearses but have seen many but I don't think I've seen one with the folding, facing seats in the rear compartment. Yours looks like a nice one and will serve a very worthwhile purpose. Good Luck with it,      Harry

Thanks, the folding seats in the back are called "jumper seats". Combination hearses doubled as ambulance/first responder cars for smaller communities, so the seats fold down flush with the floor. There are also rectangular panels on the floor that can be reversed for casket rollers.

I believe they were called jumper seats as medical crews would be ready to "jump" out during an emergency.

People can be kind weird about these cars though. I know one guy I work with who tells me hes afraid to ride it in and so on. Superstitions aside at the end of the day they are just hunks of metal.

Heres a few pics of those reversible floor panels when I was trying to rust treat them:

WTL

I would not be afraid of riding in it. 

A few years ago I drove my 69 Fleetwood to Maine and slept in it at a few places where I was just trying to get a couple hours and no hotel...I'm not sure if I would feel the same at night in a hearse.  But if you restore it yourself, soon you will probably be about as scared of them as a mortician - not at all. 

I grew up in antebellum and victorian homes, so I think I am pretty used to the idea that people died where I slept, at some time.  Really there is probably not a place on earth that hasnt been the exact spot where someone died. 

I am happy that you are going to do this project the classy way.  I think it will have far more impact as a near original.  I think a sort of alternative ministry outreach tool would be cool, help promote a culture of life and not death. 

Tom Boehm

Hello Blake, I like the elaborate blue upholstery. The car appears to be complete and in good shape. I like funeral cars because they are a legacy of the coachbuilt era of the '20s and '30s. In my opinion your car has the same craftsmanship as Classic cars.
1940 Lasalle 50 series

D.Smith

Love the combinations!    Those rear jump seats allow you to bring a couple extra friends along to car shows or wherever.   

I recall a PCS event up in Ontario back in 1993 where 6 of us rode in a 1960 Miller-Meteor out to dinner.   Three in front and three sitting on the floor in back.   Jump seats would have been very welcome!

metalblessing

Indeed, so far only my 4 year old son has rode with me. Havent been able to get my wife into the car yet. I'd love to go to a PCS Meet one day, I dont get much time to travel though unfortunately

metalblessing

Been a bit since my last update. Since my last post I have gotten to the bottom of my bogging problem by replacing my inline fuel filter, and I also last weekend replaced my voltage regulator and alternator just in time to go to my first car show this Saturday.

Current pieces I am keeping an eye out for:

- Landau bolt and button for my passenger side
- Hood lip trim
- 1 pair of Miller-Meteor "accent stars" or basically crosses that go on the sides

metalblessing

So I went to a local car show over the weekend. My first one to ever enter. I went for fun, not expecting to win anything since my car isnt show quality yet. They moved me to the "special interest" category so I would win a trophy. Was quite a surprise. Had several kids crawl around in the back and have fun.

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Highwayman68

I like the documentation display
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

D.Smith

Looks great!   Congratulations!

metalblessing

Thanks, still searching for my last few missing trim pieces. Some of these old coach trim pieces are quite elusive.