News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Radial tire adjustment

Started by 34837, Yesterday at 01:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My 73 Deville came to me with radials, first available as an option that year. The spare is also apparently original. So- from what I've read tweaks to the front suspension were necessary for radials, can I assume that this would have been done in the factory? The car was bought of off a dealership that had ordered most available options, don't have a build sheet but original bill of sale denotes a CB radio as only add on. Thanks!

Big Fins

How are the tires wearing? Nice and even? Any lateral feathering of the tread? This issue would mostly indicate a toe issue. Toe-in should always be 1/16" in. When radials replaced bias ply tires, we were always to increase the right side caster by a half a degree positive. Camber was generally set at 1/2 positive. The camber setting also depends on the size of the persons riding in the vehicle.

The originals were labeled as LR78-15. Any modern replacement should be 235/75R-15.

If you're getting good wear patterns, you may not need to make any adjustments.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

klinebau

Typically, a radial tire will want more caster than a bias ply.  The caster specs for bias ply are usually negative and a radial tire will want positive caster.  The suspension will probably not allow much more caster than zero, but the most positive caster you can get evenly on both sides will be best.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

James Landi

What does your owner's manual and door tag say is the recommended tire inflation?  Makes a world of difference if your tires are over inflated.

35-709

Radial tires need 7 to 10 psi (32 to 35 psi) more pressure than the old bias-plys.  Yes, the ride may be a little  stiffer, but that is the trade-off for better handling and increased tire mileage.  Use any pressure you want, but the fact remains radials need more pressure to perform as they were intended.
And yes, I wholeheartedly agree with "klinebau"  that cars with radials need positive caster.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2