News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Carl 61 Fleetwood Phyllis

Started by Clewisiii, January 20, 2020, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

I finally got the radiator clips I ordered from Yearone in the middle of June. 

One fit perfect in the hole I cut. I will need to take a die grinder to open up the other hole a 1/16 to get it to fit.  A better problem to have then them falling out.

IMG_20230730_152915243.jpgIMG_20230730_152925683.jpgIMG_20230730_152920305_HDR.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Grant in New Zealand has reached out.  He is almost done with the exhaust hanger set for 61.

When I get them of course I will let you know how they fit.  From the muffler i believe the parts are the same as the 59 set he makes. I gave him measurements for the hanger at the muffler. We will see how good my measurements were.

I don't mind being the test case.  Hopefully he can make a new kit for 61. I assume it is the same on 62 as well.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

It has been a week since I have done anything with my car.  There are a few little things I could be doing while waiting for my exhaust from Waldron's.  But holding onto cash right now since my property taxes are due in a couple of weeks.  But here is a list.

I need at least one belt hooked up to run the fan when I start the car.
So Power steering lines need to be ordered so I can put fluid in the pump to allow it to run while engine is running.

So
Power steering lines
Fan Belts
Voltage Regulator
Trans Fluid
Drive shaft rebuild
Fan Clutch
Oil Pressure sensor
Heater Hoses
Temporary  battery

The only unknown for me right now is the drive shaft timing and costs.

David Greenburg

Will your exhaust hanger set include the one that's more like a bulkhead in the center of the x frame?  I think mines bad, but I can't see it. Do you have any pictures or diagrams?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Clewisiii

That is the one that is really just a square piece of sheet rubber.  It should. Grant asked me about the size and hole orientation.  But I will still confirm with him again before he ships anything.IMG_20230620_115420575.jpg

Clewisiii

Grant currently makes the 10 piece hanger set for 59/60. The 61 hangers are a 4 piece set. 3 are the same as the 59 set. One is different. The 61 does not need 5 on one side like the 59 because the cross over pipe is self supporting in that area.

David Greenburg

Yes; that's it.  I guess it is just a rectangular sheet of rubber. Next time the car is on a lift I'll have to take a look at just what is happening in there. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Clewisiii

Quick Question.

Does anyone know if anyone remade the colored rubber floor mats. These were originally light blue.  I had embroidered carpet floor mats made. But I would like a rubber set if I can get them.

IMG_20230808_182548067.jpg

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Clewisiii

Thanks. I will have to call them to see if they have any other options for color. Their blue is to dark.  They are all special order anyway.

Andrew Trout

Original Parts Group has them for much less than Caddy Daddy. Most likely they're both buying from the same supplier.

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Clewisiii

I called Waldrons today.  They will have my exhaust done at the end of the month. So I will drive down to pick it up. 

I also talked to Grant in New Zealand.  He has the metal ready for a 61 exhaust hanger set. He sent the parts off for plating. Then he will rivet on the rubber. 

I am a little worried about the rubber dimension I gave him for the new bracket he is making. But the rubber is easy to modify later.  He gave me a price that I thought was great for the set.  But we will find out how much that cost becomes after shipping. 

I was looking at ordering the power steering lines but have a quick question. What type of clamp was on the low pressure line. 

Clewisiii

Well just to have something to do, I gapped my spark plugs and applied dielectric to all the boots. 
IMG_20230819_174252485.jpg
I ordered a generator wire harness from Lectric Limited.  I will also need a voltage regulator eventually. 

Clewisiii

I need to get a larger woodruff key assortment.  IMG_20230819_203751514.jpg

Clewisiii

I have to remove the valve cover to check that my TDC and distributor position on one is the compression stroke don't I. 

Is there a way to do this without removing the valve cover?

IMG_20230820_121902550.jpgIMG_20230820_121847329.jpgIMG_20230820_121838076.jpg

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes.   Put your finger over the spark plug hole and wind the engine over.   As soon as your finger is blown off the plug hole, that is where the closest position for TDC Compression Stroke.

Then look at the timing pointer and the Crank Pulley and move the crank till the points line up.   Set at say 8 Degrees before TDC, and the Distributor should be opening to create the firing position for the corresponding plug lead.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Clewisiii

I was turning over by hand. And since the hole is so deep I had to put the tip of my finger in.  It did not seal well on my finger nail.  But I think I got it correct.

IMG_20230820_125613475.jpg

David Greenburg

In response to your question from a couple of days ago, here's are pictures of the low pressure PS hose clamp on my '61. If it looks out of position, it is. I'm waiting for my water pump to come back from rebuilders.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Clewisiii

As of tomorrow I will have owned my Cadillac for 9 years. I bought it 1.5 years after I graduated from College.  I guess at the time I was bored only having to go to work every day.  For the first two years I did not live in the same place I had the car stored. So I only messed with it on weekends.  It took me 4 months of thinking about it before I took the first parts off to work on them. 

I took the nuts and bts back to my apartment during the week to soak in vinegar to remove rust.   The bead blaster is much better then that.

James Landi

Carl,

You're a living example of patience and perseverance as significant virtues. I think I'm correct in recalling that this initiative was originally all about the "journey" and less so about wanting a perfectly restored 1961 Fleetwood Cadillac.  Am I accurate?   Happy day, James